“The ONLY way to go!!”

Small Car Big Time Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience a private custom tour in a convertible MINI Cooper! Affordable VIP service that takes you where most other tour companies are not allowed. Knowledgeable, local guide who loves San Francisco. Visit boutique Wine Country wineries other tour companies can’t go to in fun and style. We’re the only open-top custom tour in the city. Great for photographers, couples wanting to get away from crowds, or anyone wanting an experience as unique as San Francisco. We go where the big bus tours can't. Cruise down the twists of Lombard Street. Travel up to sweeping views of Telegraph Hill and Coit Tower. See the mansions of Pacific Heights and Sea Cliff. All tours are personalized--see what you want as long as you want. Door to door service. You're in a special city--why take an ordinary tour?
Reviewed July 24, 2014

On 7-13-14, my husband and I took the “small car” tour. What a great decision that was!
First of all I’d like to say that Reed was very accommodating and worked with us so that we were able to take the tour within the short period of time that we were in the area. Though I desperately wanted to see San Francisco, neither my husband nor I thought that attempting to drive ourselves around in a strange city (especially one like San Francisco) and trying to to figure out, on our own, how to get to the sites we wanted to see, sounded very appealing at all. We found lots of sightseeing tours, but this one really stood out. We had our very own “private tour guide” who went where we wanted and stopped where we wanted for as long as we wanted. There was no one else to consider, just my husband and me. The vehicle was a cute Mini Cooper convertible. This car allowed us to see clearly in all directions, and sometimes being able to see “up” is really nice, too. We were also able to drive down Lombard Street because of the car’s small size. Reed was very friendly and informative and we highly recommend this novel way to see San Francisco! DO it!

All reviews
in 25 reviews
"loves san francisco"
"restaurant suggestions"
in 3 reviews
"private tour of san francisco"
"the golden gate bridge"
in 26 reviews
"driving down lombard street"
"his hometown"
in 3 reviews
"answered all of our questions"
"highlight of our trip"
in 12 reviews
"the presidio"
in 16 reviews
"san francisco streets"
"two hours"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed July 21, 2014

With a 12-hour layover at San Francisco International Airport, I was looking for a nice opportunity to go into the city and see some of the high points while I was there. Granted, you can always take one of those packed bus tours and "see" some of the more common sights, but I wanted to try something a little different and that's where Reed and Small Car Big Time Tours came in.

This was unequivocally one of the best decisions I made on my trip.

I spent four hours on a solo tour around the city and it was amazing. Reed is a consummate professional and supremely knowledgeable about his city. His knowledge is only matched by his enthusiasm and love for his surroundings, and it shows. The tour is very customizable, which was a big point for me since there was a particular item in Chinatown I was looking to purchase, and, after I successfully acquired it, I reallocated some time at the Disney Family Museum. I really didn't have much else on my agenda other than what I told him at the beginning: "Impress me."

And he sure did over the next few hours and he expertly navigated and narrated all the varied neighborhoods. Great cities like San Francisco need amazing ambassadors like Reed. I loved it, but I learned so much as well, and that's a difficult combo to achieve. Thanks!

1  Thank RAD112014
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Great way to see San Francisco. Reed listened to interests then tailored our tour to suit us personally. His knowledge of San Francisco and its surrounding area is exceptional. The BMW open top mini is a great vehicle from which to view the sights and park to hop out when something of interest comes up or just snap away as you go along.
We had an early morning Amtrak bus to catch and Reed from pier 39 called us after the tour to give us the location of the bus stop - spot on.
Taking a tour with Reed was the best decision we made and totally made our trip.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

My daughters and I went on a 6 hour tour of the city with Reed. He was fun, knowledgable, and loves his city! Reed tailored the tour specifically to our requests. It was hands down the funnest tour we have ever taken. Personalized itinerary, fun car, you can go places the tour buses can't go. I could go on and on but I won't. Just take the tour. You won't regret it!!

See more reviews
Reviewed June 19, 2014

In late April, a friend and I celebrated our 60th birthdays with a 2 week driving tour of the US west coast. We met up with a friend who lived in San Francisco and together planned to take a tour of her city. She has lived in the Bay area for years, I have been a few times, and the other celebrant had never been to San Francisco. After looking at all the tour options (Hop on/off buses, guided coach and van tours) I finally came across Small Car Big Time Tours and it sounded perfect...three 60 something ladies touring the streets of San Francisco in a convertible MINI Cooper with a dashing guide. We had a lot of great experiences during our two weeks but this three hour tour was the highlight. Reed, the company owner/operator was able to satisfy all three of our diverse needs...to see the city hot spots for the first timer, to introduce the local resident to aspects of the city that she had no knowledge of, and to provider me...somewhat of a world traveller with a truly unique adventure. Reed was very accommodating of our suggestions, and was clearly committed to give us the best holistic experience that he could...and he succeeded! His knowledge of, and passion for, all things San Francisco was amazing...be it the history, the arts, pop culture, commerce, movie trivia, natural history...he was truly a wealth of information. In addition, he is an engaging story teller, a wonderful conversationalist, a competent driver, and has a sense of humor. This is my first trip advisor review which I have written and I do so in hopes that others will find this company and this memorable experience.

2  Thank BrendafromNovaScotia