“Worth the climb up Powell Street.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Mexican, American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Union Square
“Worth the climb up Powell Street.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2011

I try to get there every trip to San Francisco. I had the Monster Green Chicken Enchilada and it was excellent. I always take some salsa back to Nebraska with me. Atmosphere isn't the best as when they get busy, it gets loud...so not the best place for a romantic dinner, but I'm usually eating alone so it's fine with me.

Honolulu, Hawaii
“Satisfied Burrito craving for reasonable price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

I was craving burritos and was lured into Sotano because it had a "Tripadvisor" Reviewed sticker on its window. I assumed it meant they were good reviews but after reading the postings I guess they overlooked the lackluster reviews. I had the Sotano burrito and draft beer. All very good. The Sotano burrito had flour tortilla stuffed with rice, cheese, lettuce and black beans. It was topped off with red sauce, guacamole, sour cream and one other ingredient which I forget. The price was cheap compared to the high end places I was eating at. Convenient. Near my hotel. I would go back if I was in the area and nothing else was available. Otherwise, I'd like to try other Mexican places since SF has so many!!

• Visited July 2011
ny
“It's the "taco the town"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2011

We hit Sotano (right down the street from our hotel) for happy hour and dinner. Killer mojitos for $5 (mucho gusto), really good salsa, nice waitress and solid Mexican fare. Perfect timing...had a nice meal and managed to escape before the advertised karaoke began.

(nota bene---Karaoke is Japan's revenge for Nagasaki and the internment camps, and gave rise to the evil that is "American Idol", and to the great Satan himself---Ryan Seacrest. Don't kid yourselves. We're still paying the cost for winning the war in Pacific.)

• Visited June 2011
Davis, California
“Excellent shrimp fajitas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2010

Excellent shrimp fajitas accompanied by rice, whole beans (black or pinto), rice, guacamole, sour cream, chips & salsa. Very flavorful. Served with 4 hot flour tortillas, more upon request at no charge. Very nice atmosphere and service. Can't wait to return to sample more menu items.

1 Thank RPF49
New England
“ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2010

I can say without a doubt this is the worst Mexican Food I have ever had. Besides screwing our order up the bartender had no idea what she was doing. I ordered a Bronx Cocktail. She started mixing something up that wasn't even close. She passed it to me and I was like "Your kidding me?" She said "This is how I was taught to make a Bronx." Well after I told her the Bronx does have whiskey in it I gave her the actual mix.

3.0 cl (6 parts) Gin
1.5 cl (3 parts) Sweet Red Vermouth
1.0 cl (2 part) Dry Vermouth
1.5 cl (3 parts) Orange juice

What I didn't know was they did not have Orange Juice so she substituted the concentrate "Real Lemon" for the Orange Juice. I took one sip and thought I was sucking on a 9 volt battery.

But beyond that the food was terrible. Stale corn chips, Chi Chi salsa from a jar, yuck! the list goes on. But to run insult into injury I was shocked when the bill arrived. She charged me for both drinks. I told her I was not going to pay for her mistakes and left it at that.

So if you haven't realized from reading my review I would say "STAY CLEAR OF THIS PLACE!" There are plenty of other Mexican Restaurants in the area to try.