“Food and entire experience just so-so”
Review of Jeanne D'arc

Jeanne D'arc
Reserve with OpenTable
Jeanne D'arc is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 5,839 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Union Square
Transit: Cable car at Bush/Powell
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Having recently come back from France, we were in the mood for something authentically French. The TA reviews were strong. Have to say we were disappointed. The food was not bad, it was just OK. The room decor was, as another recent reviewer remarked, "cutesy". Inexplicably, there is a paper cutout of a rooster stuck to one wall. The place had a production line feel to it. We did not feel rushed, but the wait staff seemed rushed. The night we were there they had a woman wandering among the tables playing a violin. Someone's idea of creating a European atmosphere I guess. Problem was that she was not particularly good and had a very limited repertoire. She played the same song over several times. Overall this is not a good value. For this price, there are many other much better restaurants in San Francisco.

3  Thank PebbleBCritic
Claude L, Owner at Jeanne D'arc, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Dear Pebble B Critic,

Thank you for taking the time to comment ...after having experienced our restaurant
We are sorry that we could not please you fully with our menu.
.You have a point with the violonist.. Her presence at the restaurant is my idea, not to
give a french atmosphere but to bring some gaite, beauty and help an artist. She is talented
has a nice repertoire but she took it "too easy"and it became noticable.
Your evocation of" a production line" because a new waitress was nervous is excessive.
We respect the taste and opinion of all our customers and we understand that our unique
decor, like any piece of art cannot please everybody. However we want you to
know that all scenes and murals in the restaurant(replicas of medieval illustrations evoking France during Jeanne d' Arc short life) have been hand painted by talented artists ... and
the word " cutesy" does not apply to our restaurant. The rooster flied on the wall because
being painted on canvas we did not want it to be stolen.
It took me pleasure to answer your comment

Best regards

Claude Lambert - Owner

Reviewed May 10, 2013

I always hate contradicting my tripadvisor friends, but have to say I was quite surprised by the very positive reviews of this restaurant on the site. We are not tourists to San Francisco, so perhaps that explains the lack of enthusiasm. This restaurant is located in the basement of a very charming and reasonably priced hotel, the Cornell de France. The dining room is charming, if a bit cutsey. The service is friendly and efficient. The cuisine is mediocre. Sally's steak was characterized by a uniformly grey exterior and was over-cooked (not medium rare but medium). Stewart's duck confit was overly salted and had no depth of flavor. The first course potage was fine. After that, downhill. We left having spent $142 including tip for a $42 prix fixe dinner including two kirs and one glass of white wine plus tip. We wistfully passed the sushi restaurant a few doors down, where we could have had a meal for 1/3 to 1/2 the price which we are guessing would have been very tastey. I definitely recommend the hotel, Hotel Cornell de France, but suggest you look elsewhere among the very many excellent area restaurants for your dining experience.

4  Thank stewart1942
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stopped in for dinner at the Jeanne D'arc on our last night in San Fransisco. They offer a prix fixe menu, and we thoroughly enjoyed our food. I ordered the Lapin (the Rabbit) which was delicious, and the Grand Marnier souffle for dessert. Everything was very good.

My only complaint is that the restaurant is kind of weird to get to - it's located in a basement. You go in through the main entrance, then have to find your way down. You kind of feel like you're trespassing until you get there. The lighting, because of the basement location, is only ok. It's not somewhere I'd want to spend a sunny day.

3  Thank c_juleski
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Beautiful intimate French restaurant in central location in San Francisco. Very romantic and almost like being in Paris. Great food and service.

3  Thank Pat B
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I've heard this place has been around for a few decades - and I love the charm of a mom and pop run restaurant, but I can't say this place is anything more than average. The decor is just on the edge of Bucca di Beppo - too much crap everywhere. The lighting is a bit harsh (it is in a basement, but there are faux windows meant to give the illusion of a French church).

Service was good and suitably relaxed, but mid meal there was a violin player doing the old Mariachi table hop. I wouldn't have minded if she'd play from a fixed venue, but she came over to our table and asked if we had a favorite song. We really were more into our conversation, so we declined the offer - which I think put her off.

Now, I'm imagining a couple from the 'burbs visiting the city might enjoy this faux romantic environment, but I found it so cliche.

The food was good, though my lamb shank had a sauce that was overly smoky in flavor. All entree items come with set sides of vegetables and potatoes au gratin. Everything was fine, but nothing outstandingly amazing. Desserts were very good, with the grand marnier soufflé being the stand-out.

Bottom line - while it was fun to try a new place, I now feel I've done it and wouldn't feel compelled to return.

On very high note was an incredibly reasonable wine list.

4  Thank sfimporter
Claude L, Owner at Jeanne D'arc, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Dear Sfimporter,

Thank you for commenting on our restaurant .We are happy to see that on the whole you liked the food that was served to you.
Sorry you did not like the presence of our violonist Francine, she works on Saturdays and we do not charge a dime to the customers who ,as a rule love her graciousness ... You dismissed her ..so no harm was done to your tranquillity
Now I wish to state, in simple words, that we do not have what you call " faux semblants" windows in our restaurant but ...costly stained glass windows made in Chartres, France ...specially for us. ...
Sorry too, that you did not like the decorations painted on our walls by a talented San Francisco artist (Mr. Bruce Henderson) which evokes the period and life of Jeanne d' Arc and are reproductions of medieval scenes taken from very old manuscripts.

With our regards