“REALLY Hidden Gem”
Review of Jeanne D'arc

Jeanne D'arc
Reserve with OpenTable
Jeanne D'arc is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 5,939 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Union Square
Transit: Cable car at Bush/Powell
Reviewed March 2, 2013

First, let me say that we were not tourists in San Francisco when we went to Jeanne D'Arc, but lifetime residents who have been to most of the top restaurants in the city. What always surprises and delights us is how many of these hidden gems we still discover. This little gem is not at street level of the hotel in which it's located but down a flight of stairs (or down the antique elevator) so you can forgive us for not knowing it was there. The decor is beautifully done and well-maintained so you won't be wanting for real French restaurant ambience.
Dinner was a genuine four-course meal at $42 per person and we felt that was a good price for what we got. The pureed vegetable soup was nicely seasoned and very tasty and the mixed green salad with shrimp was just right, not too huge nor too small. I had the filet mignon (extra $6) with potatoes au gratin and a vegetable stuffed artichoke heart. The filet, with a mushroom sauce was as tender as you're going to find anywhere and the side dishes were very well prepared and delicious. My wife ordered the sea bass with shrimp and scallops, which came with asparagus. It was a large tender piece of fish but she thought it could've used a little more seasoning. For dessert we both got the orange soufflé, which is something we don't get very often so we both downed it without hesitation. The service was professional but perhaps a little too fast-paced. However, I must admit that we told the waiter we had an 8 o'clock show later in that evening so I'm sure he just wanted to make sure we weren't late.
All in all, Jeanne D'Arc is well worth a visit for a special dinner with lots of atmosphere.

11  Thank manthony1948

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Picked this on our first night as it was handy to the hotel. A bit doubtful about a place in the basement, but any doubts were blown away. Truly good French traditional cooking. The soup and salad were outstanding; one of us had rabbit, the other duck, both excellent. The dessert souffle was memorable.

10  Thank Toronto_Food_Warrior
Reviewed February 25, 2013

A nice surprise while visiting San Francisco. Relaxed and friendly French restaurant. Good service, nice food, lovely decor. We enjoyed this place a lot and will definitely go back.

10  Thank miandho
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Despite having no reservation on a Saturday night, the helpful staff found room for me with almost no wait. The restaurant has an intimate feel no matter where you sit, and is bursting with French culture and atmosphere. Wonderful, attentive wait staff, and the food was outrageously good — for what you get, the fixed price is more than reasonable. I followed other reviewers' advice and got the orange liquor soufflé, I highly recommend it!

Overall, definitely one of the finest dining experiences I've had — can't wait to try it again!

10  Thank Danielle S
Reviewed February 25, 2013

After eight months in the US, I missed real French food and I haven't been disappointed. It was delicious and like "at home", the place is charming and the service friendly. We celebrated my husband's birthday with kids and friends, and everybody was well taken care of.
I stayed also in the Jeanne d'Arc hotel a few years ago and I loved the rooms, very romantic and personalized.

10  Thank Frederique132