“Very average”
Review of Fishermen's Grotto - CLOSED

Fishermen's Grotto
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Scenic view, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Description: Opened in 1935 as the first sit down restaurant on San Francisco's world famous Fisherman's Wharf. Started by Mike Geraldi, an immigrant fisherman from Sicily as an avenue to deliver his fresh catch to the local population. Owned and Operated by The Geraldi Family for over 70 years. Features Inside and Outside Dining, views of the Golden Gate, Russian Hill and the Fishing Fleet.
Somerset, UK
“Very average”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Ok. So this was definitely not the best Lobster Thermidor that we have ever had, but when you need a lobster fix in a city that is famous for its crab, you have to take it where you can find it!

This restaurant has a first floor inside dining room with views of the bay, and a terrace area by the road of Fishermen’s Wharf. We did not look at the upstairs dining room, as a table was available on the terrace when we arrived, but it was interesting to note that many of the people who went up the stairs actually came straight back down to sit on the terrace.

We started with an order of Bay shrimp to share. We were quite surprised when our lobster dishes were served up before we had actually finished our starter. The lobster came with some fries that were limp and not very warm and some broccoli and carrot. The Thermidor sauce was a little too heavy and much too crusty on top for our taste. I will say, however, that the imported Italian Pinot Grigio was beautifully light and refreshing and good value.

Other than the wine, we felt that the meal was very average and somewhat expensive for the quality.

• Turkish first
Houston, Texas
“One for a landmark.”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This restaurant has been here over 50 years and it really could do with a remodeling. We paid $28 for a sole stuffed with Dungeness crab (about 3"X5") and mashed potatoes - both bland. The sourdough bread and broccoli/carrots were delicious. Not worth the price. Service was minimal and our view was back towards the city. It might have had great views of the bay at one time, but I walked to the end of the restaurant and didn't see it. Bathroom needed to be clean and was out of toilet paper.

“Not impressed”
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in here for dinner randomly. Mistake. Service was pretty poor, no one seemed to care. The staff, even the manager looked a bit scrappy.

Decor needing freshened up.

Food was average at best.

It was the poor service and weird atmosphere that ruined it for me.

Won't be returning!

Monterey, California
“Disappointment not as it was before.”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I remember being brought to Fisherman's Wharf and going to this restaurant when I was a kid. Unfortunately, it hasn't aged well.

The first thing you notice as you head up the stairs is the filthy grimy carpet. I should have turned back at that point but I remember liking this place when I was a kid. I headed in and told the waiter there was 7 in our group. We waited as they allowed other groups come in that were groups of 4 or less. I watched as they prepared a table for us, and then break it down and then to prepare it again. It took them 20 minutes to figure it out. I should have turned back then, but we didn't.

We went for the Clam Chowder and it was not as good as a few doors down. We ordered the fried calamari appetizer. It was on the cold side and the tartar sauce seemed old and it looked like it had been sitting for a while. The top of it was a different color than the bottom when we stirred it. Needless to say, we didn't eat the sauce and barely ate some of the calamari.

The only dish that we all agreed was very good was the raviolis.

We had a view of the roof of the next building and some old boats below. Not very nice.

The waiter was almost non-existent after he took our order. I could see him very attentive to the other nearby tables. I had to wave him down for a refill of my tiny glass of soda after seeing him pass by and not stop for about 15 minutes. He wouldn't give my kid a refill of the chocolate milk saying he would have to charge us again. I thought this was very low class since they were charging $3 for a tiny glass of soda and the fact that the total bill was over $150.00.

That was when I found out why we had lousy waiter service, he added his tip of over $20 because we had over 6 people in our party. Did I mention that 3 of us were kids under 10?

I had everyone take a look back as we left since it was the last time we would ever set foot there again until they completely change this place.

San Francisco, California
“Bad seafood on the wharf”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I regret not checking out trip advisor before visiting this restaurant. Like many others, I thought a seafood restaurant right on the wharf would have good seafood. The place was dirty, the fish and chips were mediocre, but worst of all, the $35 seafood combo platter was inedible... shrimp, scallops, crab, and calamari were cooked until tough and rubbery. Even the vegetables on our plate were cooked until mushy. We did voice our disappointment, but I believe they know you are a one time tourist, so they had no interest in doing anything about it. Yes...thankfully they kept the sourdough bread coming because that is pretty constituted our meal. Do not go to this restaurant!