“Amazing”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Katia's
Reserve with OpenTable
Katia's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,682 of 5,825 Restaurants in San Francisco
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: The Richmond
Cross street: Balboa Street
Reviewed February 25, 2013

American service with home cooked Russian Dishes. Best of both worlds.. Loved it. You must try if you like russian food.

1  Thank Ken2fortax

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Katya (the owner of Katya's) offers the best borscht and best cabbage rolls that I've ever tasted. Liked our pierogies and salads. Only a few tables so the service is attentive and with luck (we had it) Katya will drop by to chat with you.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Terrible food, and average service..................sloppy food preparation, poor presentation, everything overcooked. Would not recommend to anyone.

Reviewed June 9, 2012

This was my first experience with Russian food and is was very nice. The food was good and the atmosphere was nice. While our waiter did take my aunt's plate before she was finished, the service was attentive. I would recomend this to friends and family as a nice alternative to the huslte and bustle found in other parts of the city.

Reviewed May 9, 2012

In San Francisco there is a little cafe where I was able to sit and remember happier times in Russia. I know for many it is hard to imagine an American happy in Russia. Let me assure you this is true.
Katia's restaurant envokes such memories. Located in an area called Little Russia along Geary Avenue this neighborhood eatery resides at 600 Fifth Avenue, just South of Geary Ave.

An inexpensive menu is an exception in SF, yet at Katia's it is the rule. Great food in SF is the rule and Katia's kitchen is exceptional.

When I entered the seating area a Russian hostess greeted me and directed me to one of the linen cloth covered tables next to the window. Presented with the menu I began my memory journey. Always a forefront memory are the time with my friends drinking vodka. When I told this to my waitress she eagerly wished to make me happy and soon provided me with a small carafe of well chilled vodka. Vodka is always served ice cold in Russia.

Confronted with the wide assortments of soups, salads and appetizers (Zakuski in Russian) I was at a dilemma where to begin. I finally settled on Piroshki (pastry dough filled with beef) and a standard Russian salad, Salade Olivier. First made by a French chef for the Russian Czar, the potatoes, carrots, peas, pickles, cucumbers and apples were discreetly dressed with the proper amount of mayonnaise.

The starters (appetizers) were a delightful prelude to what was to come. As I sat pondering my main course a group of people arrived, all speaking Russian. My evening became more enjoyable as from somewhere out of sight traditional Russian began to play.

For my main course I labored over the selection. Pelmeni, Kotlety, Golubtsi and more. How could a lover of good food select. I finally settled on the poached Sturgeon. This in itself is a memory of an area along the Kama river in the Udmertian region of Russia where the finest Sturgeon (Sturilik) was served to me.

Katia's Sturgeon served sprinkled with a wonderful dill sauce, accompanied by butter boiled potatoes was an exact memory of the Kama.

As the crowd continued to fill this little establishment I continued to be delighted in the atmosphere of Eastern Europe in America.

The wide desert selection left no simple choise to accompany my final course with my tea. I finally ended with the sweet cheese filled dumplings called Vareniki.

Finally I ended my memory trip and forced myself to leave knowing the $50 I spent was a small costs for the fantistic meal and happiness.

While I was having dinner I met a Russian lady expat who offered to accompany me for a night in San Francisco which is another review.

The only down was the limited space allowed no place for music and dancing.

2  Thank Lemuelovich