“More Than Just A Great View!”
Review of Cliff House

Cliff House
Ranked #49 of 5,860 Restaurants in San Francisco
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Scenic view, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The world-famous Cliff House is the crown jewel of the largest urban national park in the United States. For dining we offer the casual Bistro Restaurant and the elegant Sutro’s at the Cliff House. Our Sunday buffet brunch in the Terrace Room is a San Francisco tradition offering free-flowing champagne and a delicious buffet. For over 150 years San Franciscans have celebrated their events at the Cliff House and that tradition continues today with our beautiful banquet facility and attached private terrace. Hike the amazing Lands End trails, take a stroll along Ocean Beach, or explore the famous Sutro Bath ruins. Then stop in to enjoy appetizers and drinks in the Zinc Bar or Sutro’s Bar & Lounge. See awesome sunsets, cozy up by a warm fire, and listen to live Friday night jazz in our Balcony Lounge. Whether you are in the mood for a casual fun afternoon, an elegant evening out, or a play day with the family, there is always something to enjoy at the Cliff House.
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Amazing view of the crashing ocean, this place could almost forget about serving great food. It doesn't, however! Went for lunch, sat by the window, and enjoyed really excellent kale salad and a great pasta dish. Service was friendly and not rushed so you could relax over your tea or coffee too and continue to enjoy the view! Great for a treat for yourself, a special occasion and certainly for out of town guests.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,564)

Reviewed June 10, 2013

The Cliff House has beautiful views overlooking the cliffs and ocean. The decor was nice and had a friendly atmosphere. The service was great. The food, however, was nothing special. The lunch menu is your typical American fair with salads, sandwiches, burgers. Similarly, the breakfast had eggs, omelettes, pancakes, etc. The items were a bit pricey and were not that great. I can't even remember what I ordered... that is how memorable this place was.

Great views but I wish the food was better.

1  Thank Renee314
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Our visit was a vacation we had planned for two years with another couple. We made reservations two months in advance. Somehow the reservations were mixed up for the wrong weekend. I was distraught that we would not be able to have brunch at Cliff House, plus it was Mother's Day. Where would we go? I contacted the manager and he was wonderful! He started confirming reservations immediately and give us the first cancellation. We had a wonderful time at brunch. The view is marvelous, the service is excellent and the food was beautiful. I would recommend going to this lovely historic site. The Sunday brunch was delightful.

1  Thank OppySusan
Reviewed May 30, 2013

My husband and i went to the cliff house on our honeymoon. The service was great, the view was spectacular, the food was god, and we had a memorable night....the food is what came back to haunt us, really my husband. He got food poisoning. I called the restaurant that very day to explain what had happened. The hostess basically refused to get a manager to deal with this situation when I called claiming "it was not her job" to handle these calls. Once I did speak to a manager, he was very cross in tone, but he guaranteed that the chef takes these things very seriously; I told him that due to this, it placed a damper on our honeymoon and ruined the remaining day we had in San Francisco. I asked that we be refunded ONLY for the food that was consumed, and not the alcohol or the tip we left for the server. He said he would also look into this and that I would get a call back regarding this matter within a week......THIS WAS OVER 2 MONTHS AGO and I have yet to hear back from anyone! I can not say what is was that made my husband sick, but I am most certain that we will NEVER eat there again.

2  Thank mommiesteph
Reviewed May 30, 2013

A bit pricey, but worth it. Food was great and the views were even better. Great observation area's of rocks, ocean and Sutro baths. We enjoyed our breakfast very much and the service was really good too.