“Small but excellent”

Neighborhood: The Richmond
Mill Bay
“Small but excellent”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This was our best Japanese meal in San Fran and we regretted not coming here first, second and third. We watched the sushi chefs with amazement, all of the sushi looked so good and the boards loaded with wasabi, pickled ginger and shaved horseradish?? that they served them on was fantastic. We ordered four different meals and shared them but could not finish all the food. We also watched all the other meals be delivered around us and wanted to try all of them but could barely handle what we had!

If we come back to San Fran this would definitely be worth a stop, the area is not too impressive but the food was worth the visit!

Visited September 2012

san francisco ca
“Fabulous Japanese food”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

From the sushi to the sashimi or other entres I've never been disappointed...I look at the specials and the menu every time but usually end up with my favorite the Sashimi Dinner and I've not been disappointed one single time. It can be hectic on a busy nite, but I'll wait for any spot I can get.

Visited January 2012
Sacramento, California
“Worth going off the beaten path!”
Reviewed October 26, 2010

Few tourists ever make it to the Outer Richmond neighborhood, which is too bad: it has a variety of excellent restaurants, priced more reasonably than downtown and other areas more popular with travelers, and which often serve better food. Shimo on Clement Avenue (the second Chinatown of San Francisco) is a small neighborhood Japanese restaurant with a local reputation for excellent sushi. The fish is delectably fresh, and the rice is perfectly moist and flavorful. Even more delightful is the price: for $16 for the each of us, my daughter and I got a full dinner from the combination menu. We ordered udon noodles with tempura (it was a wet, cold day in the city) with sashimi; included with the entree was a green salad, a bowl of miso soup, and dessert, which that evening was our choice of sesame or red bean-flavored ice cream. (Sweet red beans are the "chocolate" of East Asian cuisine: the beans are cooked to a paste, then mixed with sugar and other flavorings to create a fudge-like dessert, only bean-ier.) I confess I wasn't expecting high quality for the price, but to my surprise, everything was cooked to perfection. The noodles were firm, hot and nicely seasoned. The tempura (two pieces of shrimp with squash, potato, and carrots) served on the side with soy-flavored sauce, was crispy light on the outside and tender on the inside. The sashimi, five slices of raw tuna, was so fresh it dissolved in my mouth like butter. The ice cream, made on site, was just a small scoop in a little bowl, but we were so stuffed by the time it came it was a challenge to finish it.

The staff was very attentive and friendly, even though the restaurant became busy halfway through our meal. Our teapot was never empty and an empty plate didn't sit very long on our table. There is a long list of sakes, wines, and domestic and imported beers, though we didn't try any on our last visit. There is a sushi bar, but every seat was taken when we walked in. As I said, it is a popular neighborhood restaurant, and takeout business was equally brisk while we were there. On a cold, foggy evening it's a good place to warm up: Shimo has the feel of a traditional sushi bar, with wood interior and Japanese beer ads and signs on the walls. One of my favorite places to eat when I'm in the city!

San francisco
“My Favorite sushi restaurant in SF”
Reviewed April 2, 2010

I'm Japanese and I'm always looking for a good Japanese restaurant. Ive been going to Shimo for the past 5+ years, and their quality has not gone down at all. They always have fresh fish (which is hard to find in the millions+ of Japanese restaurants in SF), great chefs and waiter/waitresses, and a homey feel to their dining experience.

Although the price is comparable or a bit higher than some other Japanese restaurants, I dont mind spending a bit more for fresher food.

A couple of tips: (1) sit at the bar, if possible, (2) order their Aji (if in season) as sashimi, (3) order a chawan mushi (steamed egg custard w/sea food dish) and (4) if ordering sake, drink with the sushi chefs (including the owner, Shimo). You are guaranteed to have a pleasant sushi-night experience!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook