“Phenomenal Food - worth the trip”
Review of Mandalay

Mandalay
Ranked #245 of 5,866 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Burmese
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed February 12, 2014

This place has really outstanding food - I enjoyed it more than the Burmese food I actually tried in Burma!

The tea leaf salad is not to be missed (although you should make sure to ask for peppers on the side in case not everyone in your party likes spicy food!), and the noodles were so good I ended up ordering a second plate. Also try the sangria, which was delicious. Overall, every dish our seven-person table ordered was well-received.

Service was friendly and helpful, and the food came out really quickly. I understand this place can have a very long wait, but we came in on a Tuesday evening with a reservation and it wasn't that full at all.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

We discovered this place last year and raved about the mango salad all year in anticipation of returning again. We were not disappointed. It was as good as ever.

We were greeted at the door by two very friendly men and the waitstaff was absolutely the best. This is not fancy but sedate and very comfortable.

The mango salad is fabulous but so is the tea leaf salad. We brought 3 dishes take out to have the next day.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

We hosted a lunch for 7 people at Mandalay restaurant because they have large round tables in the back of the restaurant. We feel Mandalay is an ideal venue for groups of 7-10. They serve attractive drinks and very attractive balls of tea that lend a festive atmosphere when they expand in clear tea glasses. We arrived about 15 minutes before our reservation, and we were seated almost immediately at one of the two round tables. The food was unusual to our taste and quite delicious. Most of us ordered mango chicken or honey shrimp, and both were excellent. The service was reasonably prompt, and we felt the price was commensurate with the quality of food and service. The layout is friendly, and tables are not too close together. We understand why the restaurant is so popular. Parking was not difficult within one or two blocks of the restaurant. We recommend Mandalay restaurant as a very good value.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

I have traveled extensively in SE Asia and last year I visited Myanmar for the first time. Before I went some friends took us to Mandalay for a preview of Burmese food, which I had never had. We had a fantastic meal. Every dish was superb, particularly the green tea salad. The flavors were unique and wonderful, and quite different from other SE Asian cuisines. When I left I asked the friendly Burmese lady who appeared to be the owner/manager to write the names of some dishes in Burmese. I asked her for recommendation as to where I could find food this good in Myanmar. Her response was "You can't find food this good in Burma". She was right! I traveled for three weeks there and never had a meal that even approached it! Went back recently, tried some other dishes, and had another superb meal. This is one of the best Asian meals I've ever had in San Francisco!

Reviewed December 22, 2013

If you are a fan of Burmese food and could not get into Burma Superstar, this is a better Restaurant by far. Everything that we chose for our meal was delicious. The Green Papaya Salad was delicious, the Mandalay Naked Eggplant I had never had anything like it before, how they got the eggplant to be really crunchy was simply delicious. My only complaint was that the smoked duck while chopped up still had bones which made it a little harder to eat with the buns, but the flavor was spot on. Both Sticky rice desserts were delicious. I would go back gladly anytime. The restaurant was full without us feeling crowded. There was plenty of light and we could actually see what we were eating. Presentation of all the dishes was very eye appealing. Best Burmese meal ever!