“The warmth of the Burmese comes through at this restaurant, the love of their food and their gentleness.”
Review of Mandalay

Mandalay
Ranked #256 of 5,775 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Burmese
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I love the Burmese people and their food. San Francisco has a handful of Burmese restaurants, but Mandalay has to be my favourite. The owner, a sweet Burmese lady, takes personal care of every visitor and patiently takes your order while explaining the menu.
Being a vegetarian at Mandalay is not difficult. I could have Gintoh, the ginger salad as the entree! The most delicious coconut rice and Spicy basil ginger are my favourite! When you go there think of me and have a hot jasmine tea for me!!

There are newer reviews for Mandalay

Reviewed September 12, 2013

This is the first Burmese restaurant we ever tried. The items that were on the board were delicious-- the banana flower bud salad which had a sweetness to it because of the actual pieces of banana and the pumpkin(kabocha), coconut, prawn dish. This one reminded me of a Thai dish. In addition to those 2, we ordered the Burmese style noodle. All of these were delicious and I would go back to try the other dishes. Had to get a takeout box. I'm not sure, but I think the owner was even taking orders from another table and she didn't even have to write all their orders down. Very friendly wait staff.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Wow your taste buds! Tea leaf salad is so creative and Unique .Loved it! Lemon cream chicken pasta to follow was super
tasty. Green tea ice cream yummy! It helps to go with someone who knows the menu. Great find!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Went to Mandalay on a last minute date night, and was thoroughly impressed with the impeccable service and delicious authentic Burmese food. The owner and servers were attentive, informative, relaxed and extremely thorough in their service, which really helped the whole experience. We had the tea-leaf salad; delicious with a bit of added lettuce to break up the amazing intense flavours. The three-ingredient Rangoon seafood dish as awesome, and we'll definitely be back again to try some other items from the extensive menu. Definitely a recommended place to eat great Burmese cuisine.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Mandalay is conveniently on the #1 bus line in San Francisco, easily accessible from the main tourist areas (if you are patient) and convenient to where my wife and I live as well. We went there on a Friday evening. It was packed at 6:30 PM with customers waiting in line, which says something about just how popular it is. We had reservations, which is advisable on a busy evening. Regarding the main point - FOOD - we were swept away by the menu and ordered too many dishes. They came one by one and were quickly devoured by our table of four. Overall the food was very good. I want to go back and ask that the heat be turned up on the dishes. I think we got the American version of hotness (taste wise), and my wife and I really love a higher level of heat. We were looking for more Szechwan than Cantonese, in Chinese terms. That said, we are ready to return and explore the menu in a bit more detail. Overall, if Asian and the particular personality of Burmese food is your thing, well, check out Mandalay. If you don't know anything about Burmese food, check it out sooner. You will be delighted I'm sure. And consider taking the #1 California bus. No need to trek "the road to Mandalay."