“Food needed more flavor!”
Review of Castagnola's

Castagnola's
Ranked #2,261 of 5,922 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Cross street: Jones
Transit: The northwest end of the "F" line trolley is located across the street from the restaurant.
Description: Castagnola's is a world class destination in the heart of San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf. Known since 1916 for fine Italian Cuisine and locally caught seafood. Our specialties include Dungeness crab, lobster, prime rib, steaks and a full menu of sophisticated dining choices. From the bar, order your favorite cocktails or choose from a large selection of wines. Our lounge is a favorite wharf hangout for after work and during happy hour. We have live music daily.
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Was able to get seated on short notice. Table next to window overlooking docking area with commercial boats. Atmosphere was very nice, tables a little close together, live music very good but perhaps a bit loud. Enjoyed fresh sourdough bread, which we'd been looking forward to since landing in San Francisco. I got blackened seared Mahi Mahi, which was plentiful but not particularly flavorful; vegetables were good but not cooked well enough even though I asked for them to be steamed very well. One friend got pasta, which she said was just o.k. and another got the crab cioppino, which she enjoyed very much. Although messy, there was a lot of crab in the bowl and she said the tomato-based broth was very tasty. Service was pretty good and if the food had been more flavorful, it would have been a very good dining experience overall.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We had a groupon for this restaurant so we wanted to use it when we were in town for Labor Day weekend. We had a reservation, but arrived early and they were happy to take us in. Drinks were a little pricey but were very good.
My husband hand the paella and loved it. He eats out a lot as he travels every week and said this was a memorable dish! The chef even came out before we received our meals and we had a nice conversation. He came out again after we had begun to eat to see if everything was good.....my. Husband told him how pleased he was and my sons also enjoyed their grilled lobster and lobster ravioli. However, I had told my husband that my lobster didn't taste quite right, and I wasn't going to say anything, but my husband mentioned it and the chef immediately took it and made me a new one....this second one was excellent! We had a great evening.....loved the chefs enthusiasm for his food and his passion for wanting his customers happy.
The restaurant is older and could use a bit of a facelift....but this did not damper our evening.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

We had just arrived in SF and found Castagnola's on the Wharf - beckoned in by a guy on the door...

Food was very fresh and well served - I normally don't go for seafood but this was excellent.

Castagnola's is a busy place and has a great atmosphere - would go back.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We had a great table overlooking the boats in the marina which was nice. My brother enjoyed his lobster bisque. I had a great spinach salad with strawberrys, apples walnuts, and gorgonzola cheese that was fantastic although for $12 both it and the soup were a little pricey. The entrees were mixed both were about $35 each. My brother had the Seafood Cioppino which included fish, crab, mussels and scallops in a great broth which he raved about. I on the other hand had the Filet Mignon which I asked to be prepared Medium rare but got medium well with no pink at all to speak of. To make matters worse the mashed potatoes were hands down the WORST I have ever had in my life. The steamed spinach also tasted bad. The cheescake was good as well. I would have rated them lower soley on my meal but since my brother loved his I gave them an average. I would have sent my steak back to be prepared properly but we were pressed for time as we were going to a wine tasting event at the Four Seasons that night and were already running late as the restaurant was busy and slow getting food out. We were there for about an 1hr and 40 min which was longer than we had planned for dinner so I just ate it and paid. We had a great Irish waitress who was working the summer there in San Francisco before going back to her country.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Dreadful place to eat, staff who could barely speak English how you get 2 bottles of Cider mixed up with 2 Sangrias is beyond when we complained he laughed at us and said "tourists", food was so poor and smallest Swordfish I have ever seen, only time we left left a restaurant in 21 days in the USA and went for a takeout Burger over the road we were that underwhelmed by the place. We were in and served and out in under an hour for 6 people which is going some for a restaurant, despite getting also our food order wrong as we ordered 3 swordfish and got 2 and a maui maui dish as they had not got enough swordfish but did not tell us they just swopped a dish and getting the order for drinks wrong the waiter had the nerve to come back and tell us we had not tipped him enough, well I am afraid he got told to S*d off and I tried to take the tip back, if this place could get a zero it would from me as nothing good about it at all, tired dreadful and overpriced by far, much better places to eat like McDonalds or Pizza Hut than here. My advice is paint the place, employ staff who understand and speak good english and are pleasant then try again.