“Breakfast with a Twist”

Home Plate
Ranked #20 of 5,645 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Marina District
California
“Breakfast with a Twist”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

I was staying down the street (Lombard) at the La Luna Inn, and the front desk staff recommended Home Plate for breakfast. Brisk 4 block walk found me at the most delightful little gem of a breakfast place. Arrived at around 8am on a Monday morning (they open at 7am), and there were a few spots left. Not a big place to begin with, and they recommend getting there early on the weekends.

I ordered the Breakfast Starter ($7.50), which included 2 eggs, choice of meat (I got 3 slices of perfectly cooked bacon), toast, and their potato-carrot pancakes. One of their scones is served with each breakfast entree. The verdict? Swoon-worthy. (I hope that's a word!). The scrambled eggs were fluffy and most, bacon crispy and not greasy at all, I passed on the toast. The big news (and the 'twist')? Their potato-carrot pancakes. Moist and 'deep fried' but not greasy, served with a dollop of sour cream and delicate applesauce puree, home made at their restaurant. So unique and delicious.

And the scones? Equally swoon-worthy, Soft yet sturdy, lightly dusted with sugar on top, served with butter (on the side) and a split dish of 2 "jams"- mango and strawberry purees, again that were made on-site. They were so smooth, delicate and the perfect toppings to plop on a bite of scone.

The staff were so lovely and helpful. Food arrived hot and and after a bit of time, but not too long a wait. There was no loud music, and the place had this calm - dare I say 'zen-like' atmosphere! And it was fun to see tourists, families and locals there having a great start to their days.

My server told me that the place has been around since the 1980's, and was bought by new owner about 5 years ago. I was told they use the original scone recipe, with their own twist on the 'jam'. All I can say is that I am glad I live over an hour away, or I would be there every day having scones and carrot-potato pancakes! If you are visiting San Francisco, treat yourself to a great breakfast at Home Plate.

• Visited June 2013

• Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

What a find! Breakfast was amazing, great service and so much choice. Fantastic value for money.
Best breakfast we had all holiday!

• Visited May 2013
Missouri
“Good not great but Yum the Scones!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

Walked the few blocks down from our hotel to try breakfast here based on reviews. There was a short line when we arrived on Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. Seated in about 10 minutes. (beware larger groups not much room inside). Waiter seemed kind of distracted like he was trying to tell the others what they needed to be doing so service was kind of spotty. The scones are AMAZING! If you prefer scones a little soft like I do you will be in heaven. I even got extra to go for later. Yum. The rest of our breakfast was good but not great. Ordered our eggs cooked dry and they still came out really runny. Overall, felt like it was your average breakfast fare, but in fairness we are not adventurous eaters and only ordered basic items. And you may want to check the juice prices before you order. Most expensive juice all trip.

Would still highly recommend for something good and reasonably priced in the Cow Hollow area.

Visited May 2013
Vaasa, Finland
“Very good breakfast for an incredibly reasonable price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

We were leaving San Francisco rather early in the morning and were looking for a breakfast place close to our hotel to save time. I came across the reviews of this place and after seeing that they had home made muesli on their menu I was sold. The place was reasonably busy but we were seated right away, a refreshing start as it seems you always have to queue to the better breakfast places. The staff was very friendly and we were seated rather close to the counter behind which the food was being prepared, so we could watch our food being cooked. I had the muesli with fresh berries and yogurt and it was beyond delicious. Such a refreshing addition to the standard pancakes and french toast you can find on the menu of every breakfast place in the US. Prices are almost ridiculously reasonable in compared to the other popular breakfast places in San Francisco. And this place is at Lombard St. close to many hotels. Forget about 20 min waits to get breakfast and give the Home Plate a try, you won't regret it!

• Visited May 2013
Lancashire
“great value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Just returned from a road trip around Californai that started and ended in San Francisco. As we were staying on Lombard St we had checked out the local restaurants for breakfast and evening meal ideas. Home Plate was a fantastic discovery thanks to previous reviews. I can honestly say that I do not think we would have ventured in without having seen the reviews on Trip Advisor but I am so glad we did. This is a family run business that serves one of the best breakfasts I have ever had in the USA. The menu is varied and caters for all tastes. The portions as expected are huge compared to the UK and the staff are attentive and friendly.
Best of all this is Great Value for money compared to some of the big chains across the road that offer poor service at exagerated prices. Would definately recommend as do many of the locals who frequent the place daily.

• Visited April 2013