“Good But One Very Bad Thing”
Review of Empress of China - CLOSED

Empress of China
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed October 24, 2012

The view is wonderful, atmosphere lovely, service excellent. That's why I rate it better than mediocre. The food is tourist-oriented (pun unintended), so much of it lacks zing -- ask for spicier if you don't want bland ( though the Won Ton soup was great). However, one item on the menu will keep me away until it changes: it offers Shark Fin Soup! That is not acceptable. Killing sharks for their fins is a terrible practice and is banned many places. Hope Empress of China takes it off the menu--and spices up the food.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

On the 6th floor the view is undoubtedly better than on the ground floor. The Coit Tower was all lit up and took the eye. We were 8 for dinner and all impressed with the food and menu. Service was, let's say, Chinese standard rather than American. Lot's of reaching across the guests. Food was great, not sure value wise as I'm from out-of-town but no too expensive.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

This place was recommended to me - and after running the marathon i thought I'd treat myself to a nice/expensive meal. The view (and the restaurant decor) is really impressive and the staff nice, but as it was a bit more formal than i was dressed up for and i was on my own i decided to ask if i could get it to go which was no problem. Ordered the Bbq Duck Noodles for $20!!!!! For that price i expected a pretty good dish. Got it back to my hotel and it was terrible, There was NO meat (i swear I picked it apart to find some actual duck - not even one peice of actual meat), just skins, gristle, some small bones and fat. No bbq flavor anywhere and the noodles were bland/flavorless and soggy. Talk about disappointed. Very unprofessional and not to be expected from such a beautiful establishment.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

This is a crappy restaurant with a somewhat nice view, but the view does NOT justify going there. The minute the elevator doors opened a good a smell... the food smelled and looked NASTY. And the place looked like it hasn't been cleaned since 1968. Nevertheless I figured I'm here so I'll give it a try. The HORRIBLE waitress tries to sit me all the way in the back with barely a view. I asked her if I could sit by the window. She said sorry, no, these are reserved for 2 or more people. THE RESTAURANT WAS EMPTY!!!! I pointed out seven empty tables and asked if I could sit on one of those, she still said no, so I walked out. That was enough. Don't waste your time and money on this crapy garbage of a restaurant with rude people!

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We had a group of 70+. They put us in the back room with a great view looking into the financial district. The food was very good. Although I am no expert, it seemed very authentic. We had a Peking Duck appetizer that was outstanding, and then sweet and sour chicken, beef with mushrooms, and another dish which I cannot remember. All of it was great. The wait staff was very attentive and kept the food coming, and the glasses full. All in all a fantastic experience. I highly recommend this place for big groups.