“A bit disappointing.”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Marina District
Description: "...Luisa Hansen, beautiful and vivacious owner, whose authentic old-family recipes will guarantee that only the finest central and Northern Italian food will be served..." The Guardian Luisa has created a warm, romantic, cozy, Florentine atmosphere that makes one feel as though they are really in Italy. She has been cooking authentic Italian cuisine since 1959 with passion and makes all the Italian specialties in house; Luisa only selects the finest seafood and Niman Ranch organic meats. All pasta and bread is made fresh on the premises. Come enjoy a beautiful summer evening with dinner out in our outdoor courtyard. Our bar "Notte" now has happy hour from 4:00pm until 8:00pm everynight! We also have a cocktail lounge that is open until 2:00am. Every Sunday thru Thursday, exluding Holidays, come enjoy 20% off all food items from 4:00pm - 6:00pm
Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

From outside the restaurant was really nice- excellent location. And we were looking forward to eat Italian food! So we entered and Luisa came with a fake welcome. So we were seated and received the menu, it is quite expensive. As soon as she realised that we don't drink a whole bottle of the (very expensive) wine, she lost the interest and left. The food was okay, but not as good as expected, we had better Italian food in San Francisco.
The service was slow and had no idea of the wine card. In the end we were forced to give 20% tip, which we really wouldn't have done. For the lame service we would have given him 15%.

There are newer reviews for Luisa's

Reviewed July 17, 2012

I would have everyone order a dish with different sauces and share, but the problem is, once you try yours, you won't want to share!
So try the specials and standard house items. I find the red sauces stunning, my husband loves the white sauces. The pastas seem fresh daily and seasonal. I love the meat options, my husband vegetarian. We are both happy at the end of the night. I have several favorite Italian restaurants in San Francisco, this is one of them.
Vibrant area on Union St. Indoor and outdoor options, though the alley leading to the bar in back can have a bit of traffic.
Pros: sauces fresh and fantastic, pastas again appear fresh and great specialties. Have had several appetizers, melon and prosciutto, bruschetta, very good
Cons: either love or hate the decor, quaint with wine bottles hanging from tha ceiling - or - cramped with dusty old bottles...decide what you want before going. My servers have always been good and attentive, others have not felt the same way. When you ask for bread, and they suggest a garlic bread, it is an up charge.
Hope you find this helpful!

Reviewed June 30, 2012

The food and the decor in this restaurant is really great! Everything we ate tasted wonderfully. I loved the opera playing in the back ground! I could have given this restaurant 5 out of 5 points if it had not been for the 20 % tip that we were foreced to pay since "we were from out of toen and had to be taught how the tipping system worked"!! We have been to the US many times before, believe me, we know how it works!! Where I come from, tip is given to those who deserve it and it is completely voluntary. I know that the standard tip in California is 15-20 % and, of course, we were planning to tip our waiter at Luisa´s with an adequate amount. What really annoyed us was the fact that we were forced to do so. That is a terrible policy and a really bad way to treat tourists! We will not not recommend this restaurant to our friend and family!

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Grazie! What a find in San Francisco. My wife and I were in the city for a Saturday night and had heard about the restaurants on Union Street. While walking around we heard Dean Martin coming from a little Italian restaurant and decided to check it out. So glad we did. We had the Caesar and the mussels with marinara sauce. Then pasta with the best Bolognese sauce I’ve ever had. While we were having coffee, the owner came around to see if everyone was enjoying their meal, which we did. Find this place. We will again.

Reviewed May 26, 2012

Very small and quaint. Excellent service, good prices, delicious food. the waitstaff were very attentive and helpful with menu suggestions. food arrived quickly and at right temperature.