“Romantic dinner in San Francisco”

Amarena Italian Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Amarena Italian Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,009 of 5,664 Restaurants in San Francisco
Neighborhood: Russian Hill
Cross street: Green St.
Transit: 45
DC Area
“Romantic dinner in San Francisco”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We had a wonderful, romantic dinner at Amarena. When we arrived, we were the only ones there, and were a litle worried. However, within about 15 minutes (it was 7pm) it really filled up. We had a wonderful table and service was outstanding. Terrific food and atmosphere. We found this to be far less "crowded" feeling even with most tables full, than other italian restaurants in the same area - perfect for a romantic meal!

• Visited July 2013

Calgary
“just plain fantastic”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We were looking for a restaurant for our first night in SF, and this one was recommended by our Concierge. He said of the three he would pick, there was only room left at Amarena. Of course, that isn't always a good sign. We arrived and were greeted enthusiastically by the owner. The restaurant is small, but cozy, and reminded us of a small trattoria or a small bistro in Europe. Its in a residential district which made it even better.,
The food was fantastic---especially the pasta with wild boar. The service was professional, friendly and happy all night. It was just a great place to be. IN fact, we arrived for 715 and within half an hour the restaurant was full. The owner came to our table several times to make sure everything was fine.
Definitely we would return to this great restaurant.

Visited May 2013
Loveland, Colorado
“Special Was Disappointing”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is a busy, crowded, loud neighborhood restaurant.

Our service was fair, but hardly impressive. The same with the food. We had grilled asparagus with parmesan cheese as an appetizer. It was o.k., but the asparagus was overdone. We all had the specials for entrees. My wife liked her red snapper quite a lot. Her friend and I had pork tenderloin. It was cut too thick and was a bit overdone, with the result that it was tough. We mentioned it to the server, which acted as if that is that way it goes. There are better Italian choices in San Francisco.

• Visited April 2013
“10 minutes in, "GET ME OUT OF HERE!"”
Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

Our waitress was nice, but she insisted I try a pasta dish that happened to have red sauce rather than what I asked for, pasta with white sauce- and this was after realizing what I really wanted to try (that was listed on their website) was no longer available. The bread was okay. The olive oil had too much vinaigrette added to it- amateur status. After receiving our plates I tried to make the best of things but after a few bites I was so grossed out by the cheesiness of the place (and my food and my husband's food) that I wanted to get the hell out of there. I decide to make a trip to the RR. It's a guys/ girls RR. Trash can is packed to the top with napkins and who knows what else spilling out of it. Toilet seat is not clean... Overall, I'm disgusted to my very core by this place. But objectively speaking- the place has no thrill to it. I would not recommend the place and I would not take anyone there for ooohs and awwws.

Honolulu, Hawaii
“Old world dining in San Francisco....”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Small, lovely authentic Italian restaurant....close European seating, excellent service, fabulous wine!!!! Decor is cozy, well done, casual, intimate....one of those marvelous treasures you find unexpectedly, when you step inside, out of the chill, from an old cobbled street in Florence or Cioggia....a quiet neighborhood nook.....

• Visited January 2013