“Fresh seafood on the pricy side”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Scoma's

Scoma's
Ranked #47 of 5,645 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian, Wine Bar, American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Scenic view, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Cross street: Jefferson Street
Transit: Muni - #10, #15, #30, #47 Street Car - F Line Cable Car
Description: Scoma's is a San Francisco icon and the only restaurant located in Fisherman's Wharf with a working 46 foot fishing boat. Freshness and high quality are the main reasons the restaurant has been successful for more than 50 years. Whether guests want to watch the commercial fishing boats in action or enjoy the view of the Bay from the cocktail lounge, come in an join the Scoma's family for one of the best dining experiences San Francisco has to offer.
Lafayette, Louisiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fresh seafood on the pricy side”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

We were seated immediately with a bay view. We ordered lobster bisque, Caesar salad, lobster,shrimp, scallops plate (forgot the name of the dish), lobster ravioli & brownie ice cream dessert. Service was slow but they got very busy after we arrived. Just not what I'm used to when paying this much.

Visited July 2014

• Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
new jersey
“Just OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

This place was highly recommended and I love seafood. The problem may have just been the waiter. I ordered the mixed seafood grill which he recommended. I ordered my tuna very rare and started to tell him that I like my salmon no more than medium - more like medium rare, when he cut me off and said the chef knew how to prepare it. Several others of our party ordered the mixed grill as well. When the order was delivered I asked which one had the very rare tuna and he said they were all the same. It turns out the the chef "recommends medium rare" for the tuna and more like well done for the salmon and swordfish so that is what we all got. My Dad likes his seafood cooked through so he was happy. I wasn't. I was very disappointed and won't be returning. It was too expensive to not be able to order it to the temperature that you want. Again, maybe it was just the waiter but I did not enjoy this meal.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank evasgrandma
Clayton, California
“A Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

Off the main drag in the Fisherman's Wharf area, it is well worth the short walk away from the hustle and bustle of all the tourist traffic. The restaurant is old-school elegant, with all the wait staff wearing white jackets and black pants. Our waiter was excellent; quiet, efficient, and articulate in explaining how careful the restaurant is having fresh fish and being clear about what was good but was brought in frozen. The clam chowder was excellent; full of clams, rich and creamy, with a distinctive celery undertone. The lunch prix fixe meal was delicious and was a good deal since it was shared by two people. This was definitely a hit.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Dale W
scomas, Public Relations Manager at Scoma's, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for such a thoughtful review, Dale! We do pride ourselves on our fresh fish offerings, and are thrilled that Scoma's was such "a hit". Looking forward to having you join us again soon!
Traverse City, Michigan
“My favorite restaurant anywhere!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

I eat at Scoma's whenever I am in San Francisco. Their clam chowder is simply the best I have ever eaten, by far! I plan on simply ordering 2 bowls of the clam chowder, but then I look at the menu and order something like the calamari pasta. Wonderful! Parking is a breeze -- just let the parking attendants on the pier take care of your car. Don't be put off by the wait (there usually is one) -- if they tell you it will be a 1 hr 15 minute wait, just go and explore the area, return in 1 hr and 10 minutes and you will be seated within 10 minutes.

I highly recommend Scoma's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy!

Visited March 2014
Hi Bob,

Thank you very much for your enthusiastic review! We are honored to be your restaurant of choice when visiting San Francisco, and delighted you enjoy our Famous Clam Chowder. Looking forward to having you join us again soon for a bite to eat!
Melbourne, Australia
“Wholesome, delicious and surprisingly inexpensive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

We had a much needed break from a hectic day's touring at Scoma's. It was just before 3pm and we had to wait about 10 mins for a table. We were told the clam chowder was the best in town and all four of us opted for the lunchtime special (available until 3.30) of chowder, catch of the day and a chocolate cake dessert with a raspberry sauce. The fish was melt-your-mouth gorgeous - a type of trout filled with shrimp and other seafood delicacies. The meal cost $25 each. The service was highly attentive and reasonably quick. Would recommend Scoma's to anyone without major budget restraints or for a special treat. It's also a little bit away from the overly commercial atmosphere of Pier 39. Kids of 20 and 15 loved it, saying it was one of their best meals ever!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Sian H
Hi Sian,

We are delighted you and your family stopped off at Scoma's for a traditional San Francisco experience while on your travels. Good choice on trying the Clam Chowder and our Catch of the Day! We pride ourselves on our freshly caught seafood, and are thrilled you were able to enjoy it!

Looking forward to serving you and your family again soon!