“Great Fish”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Cross street: Jefferson Street
Transit: Muni - #10, #15, #30, #47 Street Car - F Line Cable Car
Description: Scoma's is a San Francisco icon and the only restaurant located in Fisherman's Wharf with a working 46 foot fishing boat. Freshness and high quality are the main reasons the restaurant has been successful for more than 50 years. Whether guests want to watch the commercial fishing boats in action or enjoy the view of the Bay from the cocktail lounge, come in an join the Scoma's family for one of the best dining experiences San Francisco has to offer.
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We went here on our first night on the recommendation of someone at our hotel. It was the night that the 49ers had just won their game and the place was packed and buzzing.
However the food that was served was still great and the waiter (while rushed) was happy and helpful.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,105)

Reviewed December 14, 2013

Obviously with 1,400 reviews one more makes no difference for a reputable establishment of long standing, but I have two bones to pick.

1.) Apparently not all reservations are created equal at Scoma. The fact that it will be crowded with both locals and tourists is a given. Falling into the latter category, we arrived early for an 8 pm dinner reservation for two. We watched as several other couples who had arrived well after us for 8 pm reservations be seated before we were. Only when we finally asked the smilingly inscrutable maitresse d' were we told the next table would be ours. Something funny was going on, and it's a bad business practice, in my opinion. I hope the locals who benefit from it are pleased.

2.) The cioppino. It's a mess. I don't care how famous it is. Italian Americans are capable of culinary crimes that Italians themselves would never dream of. Case in point: for $39 you get a truly silly oversized bowl that would serve three people at least. Instead of being the consistency of a good bouillabaisse, that is, broth-like, with tomato as but one ingredient with fresh seafood still shining through bright and clear, it's as if an aquarium had been emptied into a vat of marinara sauce. The seafood seemed impeccably fresh alright, but completely overwhelmed by thick tomato goo. It could have been almost anything in there, honestly.

So come to Scoma, but be prepared to wait one way or another, and stick with the simple dishes that actually taste of the high-quality seafood they offer. Think grilled, baked, broiled, and look elsewhere for the iconic if elusive cioppino.

1  Thank chalouisduletz
Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

I ate at Scoma's for the 3rd time recently while in town on business. And as usual it was excellent. It has a great atmosphere. I would recommend the Oyster Rockefeller's & Crab cocktail to start off. I had the shrimp & scallops for dinner. Big portions, so although the meals are on the expensive side you aren't leaving hungry. Definitely will hit Scoma's again next time in town.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

The seafood stew was huge and enough for two. We had great service who helped with drink selections, appetizers, and main courses. No room for desserts. Big line so make reservations if you can. They have a large bar area and you can eat there too.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Spent the weekend in Napa for husbands birthday and decided to stop in San Fran for dinner. I had been to Scomas before and remembered what a great experience I had. Without telling my husband where we were going we had to do some walking around since its off the beaten path just slightly. We eventually found it and there was a 30 min wait just like the last time. We sat in the bar area in between 2 other couples also waiting for tables. Like me they had been before and the wait was worth it. We finally got our table and my husband right away notice our eldery gruff waiter. If you look around I'd say most of the staff looked like they have been there a while. It didn't bother me (I had expected that too) but I see it bothered him a little of the no personality waiter. I have to say the portions were very small and the food average. I was very disappointed being it was my husbands birthday and I wanted to take him to the best dinner in town! I will try somewhere else next time Im in town.