“Excellent seafood in touristy area”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Scoma's

Scoma's
Ranked #47 of 5,645 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian, Wine Bar, American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Cross street: Jefferson Street
Transit: Muni - #10, #15, #30, #47 Street Car - F Line Cable Car
Description: Scoma's is a San Francisco icon and the only restaurant located in Fisherman's Wharf with a working 46 foot fishing boat. Freshness and high quality are the main reasons the restaurant has been successful for more than 50 years. Whether guests want to watch the commercial fishing boats in action or enjoy the view of the Bay from the cocktail lounge, come in an join the Scoma's family for one of the best dining experiences San Francisco has to offer.
Long Island, NY
“Excellent seafood in touristy area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

Went to dinner at Scoma's my first night in town. I visit the restaurant every time I am in San Francisco specifically for the cioppino. I realize it may not be the best in town and surely the locals know of better, but when you are visiting San Fran and staying on the Wharf it is an excellent option and one worth considering. In my travels it is the best version of this dish I have had. Being able to walk from your hotel in less than 5 minutes certainly helps, but I would catch a cab to go if I was staying somewhere else in the city.

The building is older and the views not an impressive as others places in the area, but honestly I would give up the view for better quality food every time. I have certainly not eaten at every restaurant in the area, but I have been to enough and always come back to Scoma's for my seafood fix.

Of note, Scoma's does not take reservations and works on a first-come, first-serve basis. During busier times, the wait can get to a substantial level. In talking with the hostess, their busy times are between 7 pm and 9 pm nightly. We went at 5:30 and were seated immediately and upon leaving at 7:15 there was a crowd waiting for tables.

• Visited March 2013

• Thai first
Brussels, Belgium
“Excellent fish”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

This is a very nice place for fish. You need to reserve. Meals are great, we liked especially the tuna dishes. Price is in line with the quality.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Ben K
Manila Philippines
“My Best Seafood Dining Experience Overseas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

Based on endorsement by our tour guide, and the previous travel magazine list of suggestions on where to dine on SF, we tried to give Scoma's a try. Located at the wharf pier 47 ( at the back of Lou's fish shack diner ), we end up on a long wait, about 40 minutes, since it was a weekend, although it was already 2pm. In fact , I noticed that they were refusing phone call reservations , that was how this place come about as a dining destination. Staff were quite attentive and professional , but not that friendly and intrusive. We ordered the clam chowder bisque, fried seafood combination which is composed of fish, scallops and shrimps; the seafood cioppino , and the appetizer platter comprised of crab dungeness cakes and calamari among others. Bread sticks and sourdough loaf are included as complimentary items to start things off. My personal order by the way was the pesto pasta with shrimp. The food items we ordered, although took some time to arrive, somehow tastes excellent . I had my own reservations regarding the plating however . They also have an extensive drinks/wine selection . This would come as a highly recommended venue for dining .

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank doctorfoxtrot
San Antonio, Texas
“Horrific Service, Okay Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

I am sad to say that this restaurant is home to the worst service I've ever received. The food is decent, there are better options elsewhere if you're eating on the Wharf, but it does not outweigh the poor experience we had. Our waiter, if he bothered to come to the table, was rude from the drink order on. He made no attempt to treat us anything better than low-class customers. He refused to offer meal suggestions, and showed zero enthusiasm for the restaurant. The big offense: When we finished our crab, the jerk PICKED UP the empty shell OFF MY PLATE, inspected it, scoffed, rolled his eyes, and tossed it back onto the plate. We were stunned. We immediately asked for the check, which came 30 minutes later, and left as quickly as possible. Don't waste your time here.

Visited February 2013
North Palm Beach, Florida
“Scoma's Knows Seafood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant reminded me of the Water Cafe in New York. Like an upscale steakhouse serving seafood on the wharf. Waiters in white coats, table cloths, you know the drill. Simple food, well prepared is the hallmark of a good seafood joint, and Scoma's does it very well. A bit of a walk out on the wharf, but it gets you away from the throngs of people eating curbside chowder in sourdough bread bowls. The latter really only annoyed me when I saw a worker taking out the garbage, and it was filled with bread bowls being wasted. SF might actually throw out more bread than it consumes.

1 Thank DemandingGuest