“There's much better nearby”
Review of Scoma's

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Cross street: Jefferson Street
Transit: Muni - #10, #15, #30, #47 Street Car - F Line Cable Car
Description: Scoma's is a San Francisco icon and the only restaurant located in Fisherman's Wharf with a working 46 foot fishing boat. Freshness and high quality are the main reasons the restaurant has been successful for more than 50 years. Whether guests want to watch the commercial fishing boats in action or enjoy the view of the Bay from the cocktail lounge, come in an join the Scoma's family for one of the best dining experiences San Francisco has to offer.
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have been to Scoma's only on one other occassion, and although they were pricey, it was to be expected due to the location and menu. So I did not protest when this was the restaurant my mother chose to celebrate Mom's day at. We had a small party of 4 and were seated very quickly, without reservations. However, our wait staff was all very abrasive and rude. My brother was brought the wrong drink, and the tall glass was set down on the table so roughly that it spilled over his bread. The waitress neither acknowledged the spillage or apologized. Then, when he requested that his correct order be brought, we were charged for both drinks on the bill! My Mom ordered a glass of wine at the bar, which was $12, but only $6 when ordered at the table. This difference is ridiculous. My mother was also served her meal last, and she only ordered a crab salad! And it was Mother's Day! The final bill was a disaster, and when we requested that our left overs be boxed up, they were brought back and delivered to us incorrectly. i.e. I rec'd my Mom's left overs and her boyfriend rec'd mine! No reconciliation was offered for the bill, except the offer of a drawing for a free meal, which all restaurant patrons receive. I thought that all of this nonsense could be chalked up to the fact that it was a busy weekend, but we were there for lunch, and two other parties were complaining of similar service issues outside of the restaurant! Clearly, they have gone downhill. I was truly disappointed, and will not recommend this restaurant at all, especially when there are so many other exceptional choices nearby.

1  Thank Huneyb23
Write a ReviewReviews (5,100)

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Visisted here in December before christmas with friends,excellent atmosphere & food & cocktails were excellent. Atmosphere was festive & wait servers were friendly .Definetly will be back & would reccommend to everyone.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I had been to SF in the past and was slightly disenchanted by all the tourist-trap restaurants of Fisherman's Wharf. I was pleasantly surprised with Scoma's. It had that old San Francisco, Italian seafood feel with the white waiter outfits. The lounge was quaint and provided a nice place to have a cocktail while waiting for our table.

I had the seafood platter, which was prepared in a classic garlic, butter and wine sauce. It contained fresh mussels, lobster tail, prawns, and crab. I thought it was odd that it was served over rice, but also had roasted potatoes. Seems like a lot of starch. Regardless, it was tasty, and the service was great.

When I return to San Francisco and I end up at the Wharf, I would eat at Scoma's before some of the others along the main strip.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Everyone we met in San Franscisco recommended this restaurant. The cab driver, the hotel staff, the tour guides on 2 different tour companies, they all said this was the place to eat in Fisherman's Wharf. I have to say the food was just marginal. The view was like sitting inside a mobile home. My husband did enjoy the steak very much as he isn't much on seafood. The blackened shrimp pasta only came with 3 shrimp. The server had too many tables to take care of by herself, we waited quite a while before our order was taken. She was very friendly and I appreciate her recommendation of the pumpkin cheesecake. We won't eat there again, we will try something different next time.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

I've eaten here numerous times yet I've never odered anything but cioppino. Take it from someone that orders cioppino in every restaurant that has it on the menu.
Unlike many others, they don't overload it with clams and mussels, they pile on the crab, shrimp, fish and scallops.
I'm a big guy that eats big portions but I struggle to finish off this huge portion. The broth is just spicy enough to bring bold flavor but not offending, even to those who don't like spicy.
I can't say much for the physical space in which the restaurant resides (it looks like a double wide trailer including the dated wood paneling) but that isn't important once you dig into the tasty bowl of seafood stew. My friends and family tell me the other options are good too but who cares! Enjoy a great bow of cioppino.