“Great Meal”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Cross street: Jefferson Street
Transit: Muni - #10, #15, #30, #47 Street Car - F Line Cable Car
Description: Scoma's is a San Francisco icon and the only restaurant located in Fisherman's Wharf with a working 46 foot fishing boat. Freshness and high quality are the main reasons the restaurant has been successful for more than 50 years. Whether guests want to watch the commercial fishing boats in action or enjoy the view of the Bay from the cocktail lounge, come in an join the Scoma's family for one of the best dining experiences San Francisco has to offer.
Phila area
“Great Meal”
Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

A good friend who travels for a livings said his favorite dish is the Lazy Man's cioppino at Scomas, so,Imhad to,give it a try. He was right. It is a giant bowl filled with shrimp, crab, fish and clams. But my favorite part was the broth. It was red based with so much flavor, I couldn't get enough. If you love seafood and are hungry, this is the dish for you.

• Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Fairfax, Virginia
“Nice fish dinner on Fisherman's Wharf”
Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

We picked this restaurant because it had a dock to receive fish--and if they were willing to receive fish, we were sure they were willing to receive us. Not surprised to discover this is one of the great SF traditional restaurants. I ordered the fried calamari and was pleased to discover it was done the way it's fried in Italy--with a very light coating. My husband had the prix fix dinner, with an excellent seared ahi and a tiramisu that we shared. Our waiter provided excellent, unobtrusive service. A wonderful spot for very fresh seafood

C Springs CO
“Great fresh Dungeness Crab!”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The Dungeness Crab season started last week and we had to have some. We called several places and Scoma had the best prices. They don't take reservations and we went Saturday night and had to wait 45 minutes for a table, but we bought a bottle of wine at the bar and enjoyed our wait. You have great views of the city and the water. The service is very effecient and professional. There are a lot of different smaller rooms in the building which makes som intimate settings. The crab was fantastic! You can get it either steamed or garlic baked. Both preparations are excellent. It wasn't chep but it was the cheapest we found.

• Visited November 2012
Moreno Valley, California
“Hidden Gem!”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The calamari appetizer was just dusted with batter and it was delicately fried and not rubbery. Just delicious! I ordered the lobster thermidor ala scoma. Michelles lobster bisque came with a bowl of lobster meat with it and my thermidor was light and the sauce was delicious as was the lobster. So much lobster meat (Lobster Thermidor is a French dish consisting of a creamy mixture of cooked lobster meat, egg yolks, and cognac or brandy, stuffed into a lobster shell, and optionally served with an oven-browned cheese crust, typically Gruyère. The sauce must contain mustard.-from Wikipedia).The lobster bisque was delicious and seasoned to perfection and I can't say enough about my food or the excellent service. I ate some of my meal but then decided the rest of it would be delicious about 1 or 2 in the morning (which it was) and I ordered the Jack Daniels cream with Sourdough bread pudding and Michelle ordered the Chantilly cream-Grand Marnier flavored strawberries, Both were exceptional and when our waiter Andrew came over to see if we liked the food, he only laughed as he looked at the expression of utter delight on my face. This is an example of an excellent restaurant. Even though they were very busy, each customer was treated with respect and given much attention and I must confess that the food was indeed Excellent. Nothing was undercooked or overcooked and the seasoning was just enough to taste. When I come to San Francisco again I will make sure to visit Scoma's. When you go to SF go to Scoma's and asked to be seated in either Gus or Andrew's section. The bartenders are professional, friendly and knowledgable. The price-I was very surprised at the cost-it was far less that I expected. We were able to leave a nice gratuity. Oh just to let you know, they have quite a vegetarian menu as well and if anyone needs it also has gluten free. Michelle and I rolled out of there and were decidedly happy. What a way to start a vacation!

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Frances521
Whistler, Canada
“Extremely Busy but Old Fashioned”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We arrived for an early dinner at 6pm on a Saturday night and the place was very very busy. We couldn't believe how many tables there were in the restaurant and how many people were waiting. We definitely thought this was a great sign. We enjoyed a drink at the bar while we waited for our table. We had great service, however we found the menu and food old fashioned and expensive. This being said the portion sizes are very large. It wasn't our favourite restaurant of our trip however judging by the amount of guests there, obviously it is a favourite of some.

Visited November 2012