“Last Lunch in San Francisco”
Review of Scoma's

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Cross street: Jefferson Street
Transit: Muni - #10, #15, #30, #47 Street Car - F Line Cable Car
Description: Scoma's is a San Francisco icon and the only restaurant located in Fisherman's Wharf with a working 46 foot fishing boat. Freshness and high quality are the main reasons the restaurant has been successful for more than 50 years. Whether guests want to watch the commercial fishing boats in action or enjoy the view of the Bay from the cocktail lounge, come in an join the Scoma's family for one of the best dining experiences San Francisco has to offer.
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We had time to kill before our flight back home to Australia so decided to treat ourselves to a nice lunch away from the busy Pier 39 / Fisherman's Wharf tourist area. This turned out to be a huge restaurant with different rooms and levels stretching along the pier. We were promptly greeted and shown to a window seat and given water and a bread basket. Having experienced the massive portions served in US restaurants, we opted for the three (small) course fixed priced lunch (24.95) which is offered until 3.30pm each day. We arrived around 2pm so the lunch crowd was dispersing and the restaurant was reasonably quiet. Our server, Kathleen, was dressed in a smart uniform of starched white jacket and black pants. The linen at our table was also crisp white to match but the decor was tired 70's and in need of an upgrade.
My chowder and risotto were perfect. Hubby complained that his crab and shrimp salad was a bit bland and lacking in flavour but then he's an Aussie Boy raised on our high quality seafood and critical of everyone else's. There was no choice for dessert but the chocolate gateau which arrived was delicious. Overall, good value and a pleasant atmosphere. A seal popped his head out of the water during our visit which "made my day". Nice to be served by mature-age staff who knew their menu and were polite, efficient and worth tipping. Tipping really should be reserved for rewarding exceeding your expectations and not as a matter of course for mediocre service like in some establishments we ate at in San Francisco and New York.
Yes, I'd recommend Scoma's but go at a quiet time, mid-week if you don't like noise and crowds.

1  Thank PollardHackett
Write a ReviewReviews (5,135)

Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

Scoma's was highly recommended to us and we were not disappointed. The clam chowder and crab cakes were divine. Our server kept bringing us samples of other foods and we were stuffed when we left. Definitely worth the visit!

Reviewed October 24, 2012

My wife and I visited this wharf area restaurant on Friday, Oct. 19, 2012. Although advised to stay away from this touristy area, we were tourists, and it's part of SF. A friend had recommended Scoma's. First, it's crowded and noisey, although in a sense, that's part of the appeal. It's not a fancy place, but it's expensive. My wife had a lettuce salad of some sort, which was clumsy, and a broiled (I believe) scallops dish that she found quite good. I tasted one of the scallops and it was prepared very well. I had three choices off the $40 fixed price menu - not good, particularly the scallops/pasta main course. My scallops were tough as nails. Three stars is generous - mostly for the atmosphere.

The Incident. Our waiter affected a haughty air, way out of synch with this casual restaurant. Then he proceeded to accidently knock my "full" glass of wine (white, fortunately) down my front and onto my lap. I adopted the keep "keep calm and carry on" approach to the situation. The waiter's words: "Oh, I hate it when this sort of thing happens [like it was often]. I'm sorry. Are you o.k.? I'll replace your glass of wine for you, of course." I went to the men's room and cleaned off the best I could, but unfortunately I had neglected to bring a clean change of clothes to the restaurant. When I got back to the table, I finally had to ask for a new napkin (one had not been offered). So, I enjoyed my dinner with wine-wet pants. At the end of the meal the waiter brought another glass of wine, but not the bottle, so how do I know it was the same I had ordered (did taste like it could have been, however)? My take on this is: (1) accidents happen; and (2) the important thing is how the restaurant responds. Here, no comp of any sort was offered. No visit from the manager. No asking if I needed to have anything cleaned at the restaurant's expense. Now, I've never run a restaurant, but if I did, there would be a protocol for the servers to follow in accident situations, and it would not include more or less blowing the thing off.

2  Thank Roycal
Reviewed October 23, 2012

When you visit San Francisco you will no doubt want to sample some of the seafood especially if you go to the Wharf! If you only eat at one seafood restaurant then make sure it is Scoma's on Fisherman's Wharf! The seafood served at this restaurant is definitely top notch! The crab cake appetizer was plentiful and delicious and the entrees were excellent and very generous. I still cannot believe that I couldn't eat all of the Scallops that were served to me in the Scallop Sautee and my wife was unable to finish the King Pacific Salmon dish despite her love for salmon!
Definitely good value and delicious!

Reviewed October 22, 2012

One of our restaurant highlights was eatting at Scoma's, great food and service, we were seated very quickly even though the restaurant was packed. Fresh sea food, try the mixed fish dish or the fish stew both fantastic, we ended up coming here twice!!