“Where have you been all my life?”
Review of Angkor Borei

Angkor Borei
Ranked #1,595 of 5,769 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Asian, Cambodian
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Having lived-in the Bay Area for years, I don't know how I missed this place until now. Friends took me there, promising a fantastic meal. They did not lie. Great food, and the BEST chicken pumpkin curry I've ever had! I sometimes leave restaurants that others rave about, wondering what the fuss is about, but Ankgor totally lived up to its rep. They, as do more and more places, serve brown rice if requested. The atmosphere is perfect: cozy lovely.casual. Service was gracious. Perfect place to go if you crave great food and welcoming setting.

1  Thank calinurse
There are newer reviews for Angkor Borei

Reviewed January 23, 2014

I have been ordering from here for many years, and usually find the food excellent. The spinach leaves appetizer is great, as others have noted, but isn't as much fun in take-out, so we get the crispy spring rolls when we're not dining in. But, if take out is the one time you'll get a chance to eat here, then try it. But I'd suggest that you go there instead.

Parking can be a little tricky, even that far out in SF, so try a taxi.

Their Mixed Vegetable and Noodles is a Cambodian version of Pad Thai, and is light and tasty. I like their mock chicken dishes, especially cashew nut mock chicken and sweet and sour mock chicken. Their eggplant dish is very good when its good, although occasionally its a bit undercooked, which renders it like any undercooked eggplant dish, as vegans surely know. This is not the norm, however.

A lot of their dish names sound familiar, but you can be sure their version is different and good. A welcome change from the glut of poor Chinese and Thai restaurants in this town. Hooray for Angkor Borei!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Start with the "Fresh Spinach Leaves" appetizer, -so simple, a perfect blend of flavors. We also very much enjoyed the "Clay Pot Mock Duck" entree and the curry. I hope to return whenever I'm in San Francisco.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Angkor Borei must mean delicious in Cambodian. I visited this restaurant after seeing it reviewed on Check Please: Bay Area, and because of an upcoming trip to Cambodia. I found everything delicious. The mixture of flavors definitely enhanced one another. We had the the Spinach Leaves appetizer, it was tasty and a lot of fun filling the leaves with the mixture of items. The Ahmohk and the Pumpkin Curry were recommended to us, and I can definitely see why. I especially enjoyed the Pumpkin Curry, which we ordered with Tofu. It was unbelievable. The service was friendly and timely. We also tried two different Thai beers, which were rather nondescript. I highly recommend Angkor Borei and I will be back.

Reviewed March 12, 2012

Friends and I visited this restaurant last night based on TripAdvisor and guidebook reviews.

Food: All appetizers and meals came out hot and presented well. Pumpkin Curry, Spring Rolls, a beef dish, pork stew, seafood combo etc. ( I do not remember actual names here, sorry). I thought the pork stew, served with fresh vegetables to dip into it was particularly nice and the pumpkin curry (served in a pumpkin bowl) was the best presented. I cannot tell if the food is authentic to the region but it all tasted good.

Service: Staff was polite and attentive. The food service was slow. Other tables who sat after us received their food first. We were not served at the same time, instead they brought each meal as it was prepared. For us, this was not terrible due to the fact we all were sampling each dish. However, this is not service protocol.

Atmosphere: The restaurant is not huge and feels like a local non-chain experience. Someone left a dog chained outside the restaurant who refused to stop barking.

Overall: We all left completely stuffed and pleased with our choice in dining. The staff was pleasant and attentive. The food was flavorful, served hot, and nicely presented. Definitely would recommend if you are looking for this type of restaurant.