“First visit in the restaurant;”
Review of Osaka Sushi

Osaka Sushi
Ranked #1,096 of 5,866 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Neighborhood: The Castro
Neighborhood: The Castro
Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

We entered and got a seat nearby the window. It was a little cold, so we asked for another table and got it immediate. The 1st glimpse of the bar was averagely. The food was good including the fresh decorated leaves, the service fast and - in a japonese way friendly and the punk-styled waiter was realy 'spicy'. All in all a good choice to go to, if you don't look for a really stylish bar.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Staff will not help you in choosing the best dish, but if you know your japanese names already, you will definitely enjoy it here. My preferences: Eel and California roll!

Reviewed July 18, 2012

I was celebrating a special occasion with my partner and wanted the best sushi in the city. I usually have a great time at Osaka, however the staff dropped the ball big time last night. I was seated in the front window table and Sue was my server. I ordered off of the sushi menu and my partner ordered the box dinner. Sue brought him Miso soup and I had asked if I could have one as well. While we were eating this, a seaweed salad was dropped off at the table in front of me. Since I did not order this, I asked Sue to remove it since I did not want it. She did. They immediately dropped off the hot items (my partners dinner) with no sign of my sushi. I sat there for over 15 minutes with no food in front of me while my partners dinner got cold waiting for my food and for his sushi portion of his dinner. I repeatedly tried to get the attention of Sue to order another beer and find out where my food was. I saw people who came in after we did who ordered take out sushi get their items much quicker than we were being served. Sue came over to apologize finally after the long wait and brought me the same tired seaweed salad to apologize. I told her that I did not want it to begin with and asked her to remove it again. I then ordered another beer. Sue immediately brought this and turned to go back to the kitchen to let the sushi maker know we were upset. I kid you not, they both began laughing about the situation because they looked over at us when the laughter began. As I pick up my beer to drink it, I notice a HUGE chunk of glass missing from rim of the pint glass. Thank god I saw this or I would have cut my lip on it. Sue came by and I showed this to her and she just took it away with a small apology. Finally after waiting over 25 minutes after my partner received his entrée, our sushi was served. Unfortunately, at this point I was too angry to enjoy my meal. At the end of the meal another server brought two scoops of ice cream covered in chocolate syrup over to try to make up for all of the errors your team had made. I am not a dessert fan and can't stand chocolate. The bill was dropped with nothing more than a "Sorry again.". Boy, I was angry. No manager came by and I felt I was being laughed at by the staff. I left my business card since I am a manager in the food and beverage industry and also emailed the manager to alert them what a terrible experience I had at their establishment. A week later, I have received no email, call or reply. At this point, I will tell anyone not to dine at this place because the customer service is HORRIBLE.

Reviewed December 20, 2011

Service is smiling, but slightly insincere. Sushi quality is just ok, small servings of fish and rather expensive. Great sized portions of the other dinner items and really food Japanese food. Reasonably priced for how much food you get. One of my faves in the Castro.

Reviewed October 14, 2010

Great location right in the heart of Castro Street. Very clean and good window seats as well. Large sushi bar, plenty of booths and tables to go around. Usually easy to get into with little or no wait time.

Been coming in here every now and then and it's been either a hit or miss. The main culprit I see is the wait staff. Sometimes I get great staff and they are attentive and fast, but other times, they just blow me off and make me wait for a while. Once when I went in, no one asked for my order and I left after 15 minutes of sitting around.

Sushi is varied and great. Lots of options to choose from. Their appetizers are pretty lacking and the rest of the menu dishes are pretty average. They are a little more expensive than average, I think.