“Great for lunch, or after work”
Review of Cafe Prague

Cafe Prague
Ranked #1,650 of 5,693 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Eastern European, Central European, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Neighborhood: Financial District
Mid-Peninsula of the San Francisco Bay Area
“Great for lunch, or after work”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I had not had goulash since a visitor from Hungary cooked some up for my family a few years ago. I had the non-paprika spiced version and it was great. I was asking for more sourdough bread to sop up the sauce. My lunch companion had the steak salad, which appeared to me to be a much larger version of the mixed green salad that came with my entree, only hers had generous amounts of thinly sliced, medium rare cooked steak on top. I also had a cup of the lentil soup, which was good but could have been spiced up a bit for my taste. The beer selection is limited but Spaten brown was just fine with me although I would like them to offer something smaller from the tap than 500ml glass since I did have to go back to work this afternoon. A 375ml sized draft beer option would have been good. I will definitely be back.

• Visited July 2012

Washington, DC (or so)
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“++good! Attentive service and great food.”
Reviewed January 13, 2012

Service was attentive. I had goulash which was excellent with a huge dumpling. Atmosphere was cosy and comfortable and not too crowded for Friday lunch! A real hidden gem. Bring cash as they don't take plastic.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank smithri
Berkeley CA
“Fun place to have a beer, but don't expect great food”
Reviewed December 15, 2011

Cafe Prague is a delightful place to go for a beer -- very European with friendly warm (and yes, some authentically Czech staffers). I have visited a number of times, and the service has sometimes been good, sometimes very slow. I am not a fan of the food -- sausage OK but I've had some taste-free chicken there. I confess that I haven't tried the soups, and I hear they are very good.

Visited December 2011
“a nice little surprise”
Reviewed December 4, 2011

Surprised to find a great cafe in an alley in SF--just like you might in Europe. Food was well prepared and generous portions, the beer was great, and the service cheerful and attentive. Good value, but bring cash as they don't do credit cards. They do have an ATM in the hall, though.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank ToniMatt
“Reminds me of E. European bars.”
Reviewed September 23, 2011

The food was very good, try the split pea soup! The service was excellent and the prices were good.