“SO GREAT!!”

Albona Ristorante Istriano
Reserve with OpenTable
Albona Ristorante Istriano is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 5,946 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: European, Italian, Seafood, Central European
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Cross street: Taylor & Mason Sts.
Transit: Last stop of the Powell-Mason Cable Car Line at Taylor and Francisco Sts. (1/2 a block away). No. 30 Bus stops at Columbus Ave. and Francisco St. (1 & 1/2 blocks).
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Amazing and cozy Italian restaurant. I had the sage butter ravioli and was excellent. Also the strawberry sorbet was fantastic. The waiter Jesus is such a lovely person. Overall excellent!

I will definitely be coming back here for the service, food and ambiance. WONDERFUL!

Reviewed January 26, 2014

An excellent example of why Trip Advisor is worth it: tucked away on a residential street in restaurant heavy North Beach, I'd never have found Albona without the reviews. We opted for an early dinner, and initially had the place to ourselves, although it quickly filled up with TravelZoo diners. Service is attentive and friendly, with all the servers chipping in to refresh water and bread and answer questions. (We got excellent directions to safely walk to the Exploratorium) As the menu explains, the food is Istrian, which adds Austrian, Croatian, and Slovenian elements. We started with "Grandma's gnocchi' pillowy soft, with the addition of sirloin gravy. Our entrees included a lighter version of San Francisco cioppino, "Brodeto de Pesse" with the seafood well prepared and plentiful. My companion had the pork tenderloin stuffed with sauerkraut, a huge portion decidedly unexpected in an Italian restaurant. Our salads were fresh and flavorful, with homemade dressings. Sadly, we had no room for dessert.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Just scored a Travelzoo coupon to Albona for $65 for dinner for two - two appetizers, two entrees, and two desserts. Check it out!

Reviewed January 15, 2014

My colleague and I decided to try Albona based upon TripAdvisor reviews. We decided to walk to the restaurant from Pier 39, which wasn't far, but in retrospect a bit off the beaten path. We had trouble finding the restaurant, and were pleased to be rescued by a waiter waving at us from across the street. This place was fabulous, both in terms of food and service. I had a dinner special of salmon, which was one of the culinary highlights of our trip! Even through this restaurant does not have a full bar, we enjoyed our wine selections immensely!

Reviewed January 11, 2014

We decided to try Albona based on reviews read here and were very happy with our decision. We were starving after a day of travel and were the first people to arrive at 5pm with no reservations. The place seemed to fill up as the evening progressed so reservations are probably a good idea.
Our waiter, Joe, was very attentive and spent a lot of time going over items in the menu with us and promising that as soon as the bread came out of the oven a basket would land at our table ( it did).
My husband had their mushroom soup and I had a wonderful appetizer of poached pears and gorgonzola. For an entree I tried their wild salmon with roasted veggies and my husband had the three cheese filled ravioli. Both dishes were great.
We skipped dessert and are not wine drinkers but tables around us seemed to be enjoying those items. Although some reviewers thought this to be a pricey restaurant I would disagree, the price was very reasonable for the quality of the food and the service.