“A very good food”

Albona Ristorante Istriano
Reserve with OpenTable
Albona Ristorante Istriano is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #212 of 5,801 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: European, Italian, Seafood, Central European
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Cross street: Taylor & Mason Sts.
Transit: Last stop of the Powell-Mason Cable Car Line at Taylor and Francisco Sts. (1/2 a block away). No. 30 Bus stops at Columbus Ave. and Francisco St. (1 & 1/2 blocks).
Reviewed October 3, 2013

This was our third Italian restaurant in three nights in the area and it didn't disappoint. It is rather small and we were surprised it was only half full when we were there. It's hard to explain but it seemed less popular than Trattoria Costadina for example although we liked the food here more. We had three appetizers each of them was very good - the Dungeness crab salad (maybe the portion would be a little bit small for some), sardines and squid stuffed with fish in tomato sauce. For an entry I had a fish stew which was by far better than the one I tried at Trattoria Costadina two nights prior. We also had strudel for desert and it was good. This is an Italian restaurant with some influence of Austrian/German cuisine - strudel and sauerkraut come to mind. They also have such a big variety of appetizers that we definitely would like to try some more on our next visit to San Francisco.

1  Thank europetraveler39

Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed at Fisherman's Wharf and chose this restaurant because of its rating and closeness to our hotel. The food was out of this world! We shared the sardines with pine nuts and raisins which was so tasty. I had the halibut which was so, so moist. My partner had rack of lamb which was succulent. The staff works in concert with each other in an effortless way. This is a very unpretentious restaurant that really delivers really good food. The owner/chef makes the rounds to insure the guests are happy. He gave us a really great treat- Pears with a red wine reduction with gorgonzola. Really delicious!
Don't hesitate, just go and enjoy! Michelin Rated!

2  Thank 8Jackie
Reviewed September 30, 2013

we went here based on trip advisor comments, took the tram from our hotel and then walked. a bit iffy along the way, would never guess it is such an attractive, high end place based on the outside appearance or the area. we were seated in the corner, even though we had reservations, so I asked to move. over the evening it appeared that where I had asked to move to is set aside for returning patrons. lovely décor with mirrors and art. I enjoyed the tomato soup and I was disappointed in the gnocchi, not at all what I've had before, although the gravy it was served with was good. my husband's salmon dinner was delicious. the buns and the coffee were good. good value. a bit "stuffy"?

Reviewed September 30, 2013

If I didn't have the directions to this restaurant you would never find it. Indeed it is a hidden gem. Do not be put off by the venue. It's small but that was a positive. The service was impeccable, discreet & efficient . The waiters were very friendly and knowledgeable. The food was mouthwatering, authentic & delicious. There was a good choice of wine. I would definitely recommend this excellent restaurant to anyone staying in San Francisco.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Was surprised when we walked in and the place was mostly empty and we were worried if we had made a bad choice. But that didn't last long. The food was very good and priced reasonably. The location is a bit odd.. We will definitely go back.