“Great!”

Albona Ristorante Istriano
Reserve with OpenTable
Albona Ristorante Istriano is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 5,922 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: European, Italian, Seafood, Central European
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Cross street: Taylor & Mason Sts.
Transit: Last stop of the Powell-Mason Cable Car Line at Taylor and Francisco Sts. (1/2 a block away). No. 30 Bus stops at Columbus Ave. and Francisco St. (1 & 1/2 blocks).
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We found this restaurant based on TA reviews. When we got there I thought we were at the wrong place. It is, as they say, a "hole in the wall." We walked in and had to push through a curtain (which, as we later learned, had been put up to deflect the blast of cold air everytime the door was opened) to get into the restaurant.

This place is nothing fancy, and the tables were fairly close together. No worries, however, as we were soon to learn. The service, food and wine were all excellent. I had gnocchi to start and a braised veal shank for my meal. My wife had an adriatic seafood stew. Everything was top notch. I had never heard of "Istrian" food before. It apparently has it's roots in slavic cooking. It was wonderful, including the struedel for dessert. We also shared a great bottle of Amarone.

If you are looking for a fancy french restaurant with waiters in tuxedos this is not the place for you. If you are fine with a casual atmosphere and great food and service, don't miss this one!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We booked thinking it would be great for our anniversary, wish we hadn't it was a rip off, bad food & uncaring service.
I said to the Mexican waiter I didn't like the starter and he just shrugged his shoulders.
Please be warned you will probably be disappointed

1  Thank cornishbuddha
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We would never have considered or found this restaurant without the Tripadvisor reviews. So glad we went! We were in San Francisco for two nights and ate at Albona the first night. It is a small restaurant with attentive service and great food. We had a great time. My husband asked "how did you ever find this place?" Answer - Tripadvisor!!!

Reviewed April 19, 2013

We made reservations at Albona based on the numerous fantastic reviews. Boy were we disappointed! Super small room, not many tables. But somehow we still had to wait for a server. No one came up to our table for more than 10 minutes. Then we actually had to track someone down to help us and all he said was "Can't you see we are busy". Well that pretty much started out the experience on a bad note.

Got the gnocchi... ugh not that good. The sauce had a weird taste. I got the Fatta entree which was I have to admit, very very good. High point of the experience. My fiancee got the Mushroom Risotto and again was just okay. Nothing special.

Overall I wouldn't return.

1  Thank jlsacco
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I went to this small restaurant after reading about it on TA, although no one in San Fran I knew had ever heard of it. We made reservations and were seated within 10 mins of our reservation. The food was OUTSTANDING! My husband shared a large garden salad that was excellent. I then had the stuffed squid that was wonderful while my husband had the caralized pears with gorgonzola cheese that was equally delicious. My entree was the pork loin stuffed with sauerkraut, prosciotto, apple and plums. Unbelievable and I don't even like sauerkraut (didn't even taste it). My husband and the catch of the day, which was salmon, cooked in an excellent lemon, butter, white wine sauce. I got a lot more pork loin than my husband did salmon but with 3 courses, he was full. We were too full for dessert. The servers were very attentive and quite helpful in helping us decide on our meal. The restaurant only has about 15 tables so it is very intimate. I loved it! Thanks TA reviewers.

1  Thank swat1370