“Surprised & disappointed by reviews - just okay”

Albona Ristorante Istriano
Reserve with OpenTable
Albona Ristorante Istriano is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #236 of 5,866 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: European, Italian, Seafood, Central European
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Cross street: Taylor & Mason Sts.
Transit: Last stop of the Powell-Mason Cable Car Line at Taylor and Francisco Sts. (1/2 a block away). No. 30 Bus stops at Columbus Ave. and Francisco St. (1 & 1/2 blocks).
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We made reservations at Albona based on the numerous fantastic reviews. Boy were we disappointed! Super small room, not many tables. But somehow we still had to wait for a server. No one came up to our table for more than 10 minutes. Then we actually had to track someone down to help us and all he said was "Can't you see we are busy". Well that pretty much started out the experience on a bad note.

Got the gnocchi... ugh not that good. The sauce had a weird taste. I got the Fatta entree which was I have to admit, very very good. High point of the experience. My fiancee got the Mushroom Risotto and again was just okay. Nothing special.

Overall I wouldn't return.

1  Thank jlsacco

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I went to this small restaurant after reading about it on TA, although no one in San Fran I knew had ever heard of it. We made reservations and were seated within 10 mins of our reservation. The food was OUTSTANDING! My husband shared a large garden salad that was excellent. I then had the stuffed squid that was wonderful while my husband had the caralized pears with gorgonzola cheese that was equally delicious. My entree was the pork loin stuffed with sauerkraut, prosciotto, apple and plums. Unbelievable and I don't even like sauerkraut (didn't even taste it). My husband and the catch of the day, which was salmon, cooked in an excellent lemon, butter, white wine sauce. I got a lot more pork loin than my husband did salmon but with 3 courses, he was full. We were too full for dessert. The servers were very attentive and quite helpful in helping us decide on our meal. The restaurant only has about 15 tables so it is very intimate. I loved it! Thanks TA reviewers.

1  Thank swat1370
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is a small restaurant in a very quiet street. Food is wonderful, service was spotless and it has a cozy ambience. The chef is great and he will talk to every customer to ask impressions on the meal. Menu is Italian food, it’s not very extensive but everything is well prepared, fresh and tasty. Prices are reasonable. I recommended reserving on advance as it only accommodates around 40 people.
There is parking lot in the corner where there is a store, it’s a flat rate and a good option if you’re driving as this is a residential and touristic zone and it’s pretty hard to find a spot.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

It is #1 at tripadvisor, so we had to try it. And I am so happy that we managed to get a table. It was not surprisingly full, so reserve a table beforehand.

I got a delicious glazed pear with mable sirup and gorgonzola. I will remember it for the rest of my life. The dessert was similarly a pearl. Espresso mousse with cherries.

The main course was excellent, a half of a rabbit, could make 3 or 4 people satiated. Unfortunately I was only one, and my buddy had similar problem with his salmon. $55 for three wonderful courses. It was cozy and very friendly waiters without being to intimate.

I will definetely go here next time I am in San Francisco

1  Thank jkanters
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Service was prompt... food was tasty... what more to be said. Certainly, satisfying, and enjoyable. Would go back again. Five stars....