“A Fantastic and Unique Restaurant”
Review of Forbes Island - CLOSED

Forbes Island
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Forbes Island Restaurant is one of the most unique dining experiences you will ever have whether you live in the Bay Area or are a visiting tourist. You take a little shuttle boat out to the island itself, which only takes about two minutes, but once you are there, it feels like you are a million miles away from civilization. It has an incredible lighthouse, which we climbed, and which was well worth it. The weather was warm, and the night was crystal clear. The views from the top are breathtaking, and some of the best views of San Francisco we have ever seen. .

It was my husband's birthday, and we had a wonderful table near the fireplace where we could look out the port holes and see the fish swimming, because the restaurant is under water. The ambiance is wonderful and warm, and the restaurant's decor is filled with sailing paraphernalia. The food was an amazing delight. We had a magnificent tasty crab salad, one of the best we've ever had and a savory steak fillet, which was cooked to perfection.The desserts were a slice of heaven, and the service was impeccable. It is hard to believe you are in San Franciso because you really feel you are on a small ship in the middle of the ocean.

This is truly an enchanting, romantic dining experience and a gem of a restaurant. We can't wait to go back. We could not have believed this jewel existed so close to downtown San Francisco.

1  Thank Esther M

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Forbes Island is a must see and do if you go to San Francisco. The experience is so unique - it is the only floating island in the world..it has unbelievable views of San Francisco..it has a real light house on the island! And that is only the top of the island! The restaurant is great - private, filled with ship-type decorations, and it is under the water! Watch the fish go by! The food is great - definitely a gourmet experience. BUT, best of all is the wonderful wedding venue Forbes Island is. We just had our daughter's wedding there - we had the island to ourselves for 4 hours - and everything was absolutely perfect. Great spot for a private party - and the staff is wonderful - very accommodating! Can't possibly say enough in 100 characters!

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Food was incredible, ambiance was unique and cozy, and our waiter was very attentive and professional. Our service was top notch.

Someone suggested this little gem to me and it turned out to be such an enchanting experience.

We both ordered the fillet, which was cooked perfectly; tender and savory. It came with some type of cheesy broccoli cheese quiche which was INCREDIBLE!

Overall, we had a fantastic night dinning here. I wish I took pictures, because it was unlike any restaurant I have ever experienced, but unfortunately I did not. The restaurant is comparable to dinning on a high end pirate ship---almost equivalent to eating in Captain Hook's quarters.

In all my years of visiting SF I never even noticed this place, or rather did not know it was a restaurant, which made it more unique!

As to the person who wrote that the menu was "entirely overwhelming"-- I have no idea where this is coming from, it must be due to them not being able to comprehend the menu items, as the menu is very small.

Additionally, they wrote "weak drink selection", which I respectfully disagree with, as they have a bar filled with anything you want, and top notch high end wine.

Needless to say, this place was better than expected.

LASTLY the bruschetta was AHHHHMAZING. One of the best bruschetta I have ever had, if not the best. I would love to be it eating now.

If you are looking for a plushly unique restaurant with highly appetizing food, then I absolutely suggest you come here.

1  Thank Jewhoodlum18
Reviewed November 11, 2012

My friends and I had appetizers only here one evening. The experience was so unique, honestly wanted to giggle every time the restaurant swayed. We all ordered a different app and wine, enjoyed everything. It was quite dark below deck, and after reading another review suggesting being seated by a porthole, I was somewhat disappointed that it could not be seen through, but still, a very enjoyable evening. The service was impeccable also.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

We tripped over this while wandering around the Wharf taking photos and it caught our eye. We saw the dining sign with a reservations number and gave it a try.

The launch came right over and picked us up. The captain gave us a little tour and explanation of how the island barge came to be and escorted us to the dining room. The dining room is intimate and charming with a nice bar and fireplace.

We were not expecting spectacular food, but we were happily surprised. The butternut squash soup was excellent and so was my french style chicken. My husband had the lamb lollipops which were done to his liking. The pomegranate sorbet was one of the most delicious sorbets we've ever enjoyed.

If you want to have a romantic and novel evening in San Francisco, I'd put this on my list. The clientele seemed to be a mix of visitors and locals, so it did not feel touristy.