“Great restaurant in North Beach!”

Ristorante Franchino
Ranked #112 of 5,825 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Asian, Italian, Japanese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Looked for a restaurant in North Beach and read excellent reviews. And they were right. The owner met us at the door and said the wait would be about 15 minutes. Brought us and others waiting. an appetizer to share outside and a glass of wine/beer. Food was great and the service! Like sitting in someone's kitchen! Will definitely go back when we visit San Francisco again!

Reviewed March 10, 2013

This place is unbelievable and we were lucky enough just to find it walking buy. Owner was on the sidewalk--place is really small, told us it would be 15 minutes, after 15 minutes there were several groups waiting--he walked out and gave us all awesome appetizers and wine on the house!
Once inside, food, service, wine, unbelievable--can't wait to come back to San Francisco!

Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

The restaurant is very small, perhaps 15 tables and the atmosphere is really wonderful. Frank Sinatra albums playing, what appears to be 2, maybe 3 generations of the same family operating the place. The grandfather is the maitré d, grandma and daughters serving, just super quaint.

I ordered the clam linguine. I really should know better. My wife makes the best clam linguine I've ever had. Nothing comes close and this dish fell far short of the mark. It's not their fault, she's just that good a cook!

The linguine with tip was $23. I drank water, no wine as I had to drive.

1  Thank Jad16
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Make a reservation but be prepared to wait a few minutes for your table. . .outside. Waiting is part of the fun. The dining room is small but you feel like you are having family dinner at their home. There is nothing pretentious about this place. We ate every bite of the delicious dishes of ravioli, tortalini and fettucini we ordered. Delightful experience!

Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

I always seek out Italian when traveling and I'm so happy did it in San Francisco. Franchino' s was fantastic. From the tiny dining area that is filled with classic Italian decor to immediately noting that it is family run by a classic Italian family, this place was great. Since traveling to San Francisco I have had an extremely hard time finding good service in a restaurant, this restaurant also changed this x dynamic! Met at the door by a warm endearing man, to later find out this is Franchino himself to being seated as soon as a table opened to immediately being greeted by our server. We did not wait for anything! Bread, drinks and recommendations all flowed naturally without feeling rushed. Amazing! The food - OMG! Fantastic!! I narrowed down the choices I wanted and the server was happy to tell me what her mother made, so I opted for the gnocchi which was the best I have ever had with the gorgonzola cream sauce - soooo good. Then dessert wad homemade Tarimsu, which was unlike any other I have had - incredible. Would highly recommend this restaurant. If you are anywhere in the San Francisco area, it is worth seeking out. Thank you to Franchino and family for allowing me this experience.