“Chowder”

Blue Mermaid Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Mermaid Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #111 of 5,693 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Cross street: Hyde Street
Transit: We are 2 blocks away from the F line stop at Jones St. and Beach St.
Description: Serving casual San Francisco fare and a large helping of Gold Rush Era ambiance, the Blue Mermaid Restaurant & Bar makes its home in the heart of Fisherman's Wharf. A menu, priced for the whole family, features fresh seafood with a regional focus and a great kids' menu. Diners will find distinctive homemade chowders served from steaming cauldrons in three different size bowls, including a traditional bread bowl. Also offered are such savory selections as Fresh Oysters on the Half Shell, Whole Dungeness Crab and Cioppino. A full bar specializes in a wide selection of beer and California wines, Irish Coffee and ocean-themed cocktails... guaranteed to promote mermaid sightings. Come in and listen for the siren songs of the legendary Blue Mermaid.
Oslo, Norway
“Chowder”
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

We arrived late at night and were hungry, and thought we should just go for the hotel restaurant. We were recommended the crab and corn chowder and it was delicious. Big portions, and huge glasses of local wine, made me think of old swedish commercials ("everything is big in the US")
Nice place!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank LinaCEB
Adam M, General Manager at Blue Mermaid Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Hi Lina,

Thank you for the review. I'm glad we were able to satisfy your hunger with our delicious chowder! Hope to see you on your next visit!

Asheville, North Carolina
“Corn Chowder”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Try their famous Corn Chowder with a cold beer. The outside patio overlooked Fisherman's Wharf and the people watching was fantastic.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank EBL154
Adam M, General Manager at Blue Mermaid Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Hello,

Thanks for the nice review. I would have to agree, it doesn't get much better than an ice cold beer, bowl of Crab & Corn Chowder and people watching on the Wharf! I'm glad you enjoyed your visit, see you next time!

“Decent food”
Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Very relaxed atmosphere. The food wasn't as great as I was expecting but it was still good. I got a cup of chowder which was delicious but my salmon was so so. I wish I would have gotten something else. My friend had the fish and chips with garlic Parmesan fries and the fries were soooooo good (very garlic!).

1 Thank Amy H
Hi Amy,

Thank you for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed the chowder, I love it too! I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the salmon as much as the chowder, we strive for 100% guest satisfaction, so if you are not satisfied please let us know and we'd be happy to get you something else. Hope to see you again!

Dorset, United Kingdom
“Great friendly restaurant - experienced breakfast & dinner”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Lovely choice for breakfast and dinner. Friendly bar staff! Nice nautical theme interior. We didn't feel the need to search elsewhere for food whilst staying at the argonaut hotel (which the Blue Mermaid is linked to). Would recommend.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Shona B
Hi Shona,

Thanks for the nice review. I'm glad you enjoyed your time at the Argonaut/Blue Mermaid. Hope to see you on your next visit!

PNW
“Award Winning chowder? I think not.”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

After hearing how this place has the best crab & corn chowder around, I just had to try it. I really don't see what the fuss is about! It isn't bad, but it definitely isn't fantastic. The flavor was just average and there wasn't much crab in it. For winning awards several years in a row, I was expecting a lot more. Tasted like something you could get from Red Lobster or Bonefish- nothing special... I have definitely had better crab and corn chowder before!
Service wasn't superb either. It was empty, yet we still had to wait 10 minutes to even be acknowledged by anyone. Not impressed.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank TheTravelBuggy
Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to write us a review. It sounds like you didnt think as highly of the Crab & Corn Chowder as I do. I'd love to set you up with a taste of our other five chowders to find you a favorite. Hopefully you will give us a chance to win over your palate next time you are in SF.