“Happy Days”

Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Marina District
Reviewed December 5, 2012

As a fan of "Happy Days" I had always wanted to experience eating in a "real diner" .

Staying in the Marina District we decided to go to Mels and see if it was as fun as portrayed on the show.

We were not disapointed! It was just like the show, complete with juke boxes at each table and a bustling atmosphere that drew you into the action.

The food was not the star here....it was not Michellin 5 star, nor was it ever intended to be so.
The serves were very generous, tasty and the menu was large. The waitress was very bubbly and happy to accomodate some alterations to the meals selected.

As it was almost Halloween, the diner was decked out complete with spiders and associated decorations making it an even more fun experience!

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Stopped here on a rainy night to avoid the commute traffic heading north out of town. We had been here once or twice in the past with kids and the food had seemed passable enough for a chain diner. Not this time. I had chili; my wife the chicken pot pie. The latter was the size of a dessert pie and filled with some gooey filling that reminded me of the Swanson's TV dinners I ate when I was 18. The chili was not "Mel's own recipe" but some industrialized stuff that you would get anywhere. As a bonus, I had severe indigestion all the next day. Aside from the fact that the place has its own parking lot and is inexpensive, I can think of little to recommend Mel's on Lombard.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This restaurant was on my daughter's list since it was a walking distance from our hotel. It was decorated reflecting the 50's with a juke box at the entrance, and small boxes at each table. They served generous portions, and we got a friendly server, Maria. It was also a great place to visit for the ambiance.

2  Thank Vacationset
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We had breakfast here and we didnt eat again until dinner. This is seriously stick to your ribs food, overly generous portions of genuinely good down home cooking. Great choice especially when you have a full day of walking around sightseeing planned.

Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

We stayed across the road from here in san fran this week and found it a welcome change to the more expensive places we had encountered at fishermans wharf etc. The staff friendly, food tasty and best still its excellent value. Originally only went as i bought a groupon voucher but went back three times in two days. Twice for breakfast. Definately recommend for refreshingly value