“Get the Green Beans...You'll Be Grateful Later”
Review of Betelnut Pejiu Wu - CLOSED

Betelnut Pejiu Wu
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Marina District
Cross street: Buchannan Street
Reviewed June 23, 2013

A friend who lives in SF took us out to this place and the food did not disappoint. It's always a good sign to see a packed restaurant on a Monday night and I can see why. The oxtail dish was amazing, second only to the green beans.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

A red very dodgy looking place gave an unexpected surprise!

Betelnut’s specialty is the crispy cauliflower, glazed with tribal salt and pepper. And how crispy it was! While I could have done with less oil that puddled towards the bottom of a stone bowl, the crunchy texture and earthy tones of this dish made it palatable. Not to mention the bursts of spicy flavor as we discovered that there was more than crackling cauliflower to this dish, like hot pepper! The vegetable flavor was still prevalent, but eventually overshadowed by the fried residue as we got to the bottom of this bottomless pit.

The Szechuan green beans and asparagus were particularly delightful, as the preparation had not devoured the natural flavors entirely, but accented them with a spicy and sweet sauce with visible pepper flakes and finely chopped sautéed veggies. It was perfectly salty, soy and what I thought was tamarind infused sauce.

Stay away from desserts though, very dry and boring!

The entire review is on my blog. http://sssourabh.com/2013/03/10/soaked-and-fried-in-red-light/

Reviewed May 21, 2013

A good restaurant with great service. The two of us shared a really excellent ahi tuna with apple-mustard sauce and shiso ($13.95), some fine and very tender glazed pork short ribs with garlic & thai basil ($7.95), ora king salmon skewers with bata-miso glaze, citrus-mint salad ($8.88) which was a little too heavy for my taste, and good-but-not-dazzling szechuan green beans ($6.88), which I understood as belonging to the classics of Betelnut. We were well received by attentive waiters. The whole dinner (with a drink and a glass of wine) cost us $55 each. We had made reservations a few hours before going there (on a Tuesday at 7 pm), but there were a few free tables, so we could have dropped in.

Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

While they kept a few of the old Betelnut dishes they simply were not the same. What was an old solid standby in the neighborhood is no more I'm afraid. Judging by the lack of customers I suspect I'm not the only one disappointed with the new menu.

On a positive note the drinks were good and service was fine.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Came here while walking my friend's dog and we caught a table outside. First points go to being dog-friendly. The next big points was the service. And thirdly, the beer was really cold and really good. We ordered some of the finger food appetizers. The skewers are the way to go. The chicken wings were cooked really well, but weren't anything too special flavor-wise. This place recently underwent a remodel and name change, but has returned to its former state after less-than-glowing feedback from customers and critics. If you want a nice spot to watch all the people go by on Union St. on a sunny afternoon, this place is great.