“As good as ours in town!”
Review of Takara Restaurant

Takara Restaurant
Ranked #1,224 of 5,922 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Japantown
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I walk by this place every time I'm in Japantown. Wanting to try a different restaurant we decided on Takara. The sushi was fresh and wonderful. The service was good too. I would eat here again.

Reviewed February 1, 2012

They serve seafood custard, miso soup, rice, ice cream and seaweed with every meal. It's authentic. Chicken teriyaki was good and the tempura was piping hot. But I am more of a fan of gourmet food and not a fan of the real "authentic" Japanese food.
Service was not the best and the atmosphere was lacking. This restaurant was in the mall attached to Hotel Kabuki.

Reviewed September 29, 2011

This restaurant was recommended to us, during our shopping trip in Japantown in our recent visit to San Francisco. We got there as soon as it opened for lunch at 11.30 am. We were greeted and sat down quickly to our table. The service was very efficient and the food served hot. Green tea was given immediately and we enjoyed every course of the meal. There was a good selection of food and it was very well balanced. The staff were very attentive and offered to top up our green tea. We went back there again for another lunch and dinner and we were very satisfied with the food and service provided and we will definitely be going back again and recommending it to our family and friends.

Reviewed September 16, 2011

Perspective is important in these reviews. This is not a fancy place, but more like a good place to have a quick lunch while visiting around.

In that context, we were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. Fish was very fresh and tasted much better than your average north American low priced sushi. I also liked that the lunch menu included one of my favorites, miso-marinated black cod. Which came in a fairly generous portion, BTW.

Customers were a mix of tourists and people from the older generation San Francisco Japanese-American community.

To summarize: would I go out of my way to go there, no. If I want a decent sushi for a moderate price and I happen to be in the neighborhood, would I go back, absolutely.

Reviewed September 14, 2011

While many of the restaurants in Japantown are no longer Japanese owned and have food that I would actually leave on the plate, Takara is still wonderful. We went several times. They have some favorite authentic Japanese specialities not found in many other restaurants there (ikashiokara, maguro no yamakake, ankimo, ikamentai, morokyu, etc.), but the best part is the sushi. The sushi chef knows what to recommend and we were never disappointed in the least! It was a real treat and we cannot wait to return.