“sweet treats”

Ranked #18 of 142 Dessert in San Francisco
Good for: Families with children
Neighborhood: Russian Hill
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I used to visit Swensen when I was younger, this place still the same and the ice cream is always as good as I remember.

There are newer reviews for Swensen's Ice Cream

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Swensen's is a landmark, so you'll probably eat there. If you take the cable car on Hyde Street, you can get dropped off right there for the full tourist experience.

Luckily, the ice cream is actually really good. And it's old-school good. Rich, creamy, artery-clogging good. Be warned, San Francisco is COLD most of the year, so ice cream may feel different from when you eat it at the beach, but try to focus on the taste.

The only complaint with this place is that it could use a restorative face lift. Don't do away with the original look and feel, just clean and repair it, like it's new again. But, despite the underwhelming feel of the place, the ice cream is darn good. So go and indulge.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

You have to try swenson's ice cream an your way from downtown to fishermen's warf. After 2 miles hill climbing you should have a portion of this fantastic ice cream. It is really creamy and has a wonderful strong taste especially the sticky chocolate is awesome. Swenson's also offers some light flavours which are really good. Even the price is is very good- the small double for 4,25 is much cheaper than ben&jerry or häagen dasz.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Small corner neighborhood gem but worth finding! Had a "walk-a-way-sundae" and it was wonderful! Friendly service, good value and great icecream. Go and enjoy the icecream and strolling the neighborhood!

Reviewed May 11, 2012

Thank you to my coworker for craving ice cream after a recent business dinner. I was dining across the street and on our way out my coworker saw the Swensen and convinced me to eat some ice cream there. We walked in right when they were closing and allowed us to still order. I asked for recommendation from the gentlemen behind the counter and he said Sticky Chewy Chocolate. I ordered a scoop in a cone to go. It was one of the best chocolate ice creams I have ever had. The only way to describe it is sticky, chewy, & chocolaty! It was a wonderful delight after the dinner I just had. There were some other flavors I hope to try one day. If you are ever in San Francisco I recommend eating ice cream here!