“Nice option in SF for Spanish food lovers”
Review of Zarzuela

Zarzuela
Ranked #228 of 5,834 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner
Neighborhood: Russian Hill
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

This is really a nice restaurant with a best in class service. People are always smiling and ready to offer you all Spanish options of tapas.
That also have main plates, but I did not try this time.
All wines are Spanish also.
I tried cheese varieties plate, tortillas y croquetas. All were good. Price was also fair.
In summary, it is not the best Spanish restaurant I have visited, but it is a nice option.

Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant has a nice atmosphere. Service was good but not particularly welcoming. We did enjoy the tapas we tried, but the paella was not great. Overall, we would have opted for another restaurant.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

My daughter and I got there on a Thursday evening about 7:45. We had seen cute restaurants on Hyde riding the cable car down to the wharf and decided to walk up the hill from Ghirardelli's in search of one. That hill gets really steep! but we decided to stick it out until we found someplace to eat. I was so excited when we found this place that was packed and noisy and cozy. There was another party of 2 ahead of us and wait time was quoted at about 20 minutes, but it turned out to be more like 30-40. However, I was not ready to go hike more hill to find another place! The waiting area is tiny and dark off to the side.

The guy who appeared to be the owner was not that friendly until after the dinner rush when his friends got there and he sat down and ate with them. Our waiter was pretty formal, but did keep coming back to check on us and kept refilling our glasses from the carafe of sangria we got. We were hungry, so just got the main dishes of rosemary lamb chops and some chicken and mushroom dish. Both were very good. Good flan for dessert. We were lucky to be seated in a corner banquette that was not as noisy as the center of the room. There were what looked to be work associates from a conference in the back room, lots of couples, and one large-ish family with young children and a group of young women. There were many people waiting for a table until after 9 p.m.

The food was pricey, but good. I liked the neighborhood, cozy feel. I would definitely go back again. We could walk outside and catch the cable car at about 10 p.m. It was dark and cold by then, but we could wave it down as it came up to the stop.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

I have been going here for ages since the restaurant started.
The food is consistent, the staff is consistent.
Everything you order is very good and this is a no fuss place.

Sangria and paella is a must.

The other stuff we have had is:

Tortilla espanola
Oxtail
Lamb chops
mushrooms
shrimp with garlic and olive oil

the above is on a consistent basis. We have ordered other dishes too and they were just as good.

Tip: Does not take reservation so if you go before 7 wait is shorter. Back room of the restaurant is bit small with low ceilings so front of the restaurant is better seating. Closed on Sundays and Mondays.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

We went on a Thursday night so even though they don't take reservation, there was no wait. Services was very good when we first sit down, very efficient. However, it went down from there. Our waiter forgot about 1 of order so we have to wait for 15 minutes between our 6 tapas and the 7th one. Then, I order a sangria (my 2nd one) and somehow it took forever to get it.

We ordered: crab bisque, squid, pork, mussels, crab cake, and quail. And two different dessert. There were 2 drinks. The pork was my least favorite because it was bland. Everything was pretty good especially the seafood. Our total bill is $101.