“Amazing Swiss in San Fran!”

Matterhorn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Matterhorn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,368 of 5,642 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: French, German, Swiss, European
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Pacific Heights
Cross street: Green Street
Transit: Several Muni bus stops nearby.
San Diego, California
“Amazing Swiss in San Fran!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

This is a wonderful option for more Authentic Swiss fare than going to the melting pot, etc. The Fondue was out of this world, and they even have Raclette on the menu (they heat it for you - you do not do it on the machiene yourself). The owners are really from Switzerland, and the Mrs. actually takes your order and oversees the restauraunt.

Tip: If you are a cheese addict like me, you will not be disappointed!

• Visited November 2012

Chicago, Illinois
“Kitschy but delicious Swiss getaway in the middle of SF...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Went here on a whim, craving gooey and delicious fondue. Was really pleased by our experience. While the decor was a bit throwback and kitschy, it's a pretty accurate rendition of what a restaurant in small-town Switzerland is still like today (I go back once a year). The service was friendly and efficient, and the food was wonderful. The fondue was surprisingly lighter than we expected, with lots of flavor. We added the Alpine Delight, because what meal isn't better with cold cuts? A few Swiss draft beers and we ended up satiated and quite happy, all for under $100.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank dc2sf
Bristol, United Kingdom
“I fondue believe you'll like it here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Now, I've had a fair few fondues in my time, as has my cheese-addicted girlfriend, and I can safely say that this was the best fondue we've ever had. It was sooooo good we both ate ourselves into varying degrees of pain, just because we didn't want to stop.

The owner who was also our waitress was very nice and knowledgeable, and genuinely Swiss, so what we got was genuine Swiss fondue (though probably American-sized portions).

The beers they had on tap were great, and the place itself was really nice.

The only problem we had was the woman on the table next to us, who wouldn't stop talking about herself to her date. It was actually quite entertaining laughing about her afterwards, and obviously nothing to do with the restaurant - but she'll definitely help me remember this meal. I can still hear her now, like some kind of inescapable, self-centered tinnitus.

Anyway, back on topic...it was one of the more expensive places we tried in SF, and there are probably better culinary experiences out there, but we really enjoyed this place.

• Visited October 2012
Anchorage, Alaska
“Swiss food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

My friend and I shared a fondu with cheese and herbs. It was very good, the side salad was good. We went for the extras of apple, sausage, and mushrooms everything was very good tasting.

• Visited September 2012
Southport, North Carolina
“Nice for a Change”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

This was something different for a change. I don't think I could handle a steady diet of fondue but everything was very tasty.

Visited September 2012