“A notch down from last year but still great”
Review of Acquerello

Acquerello
Reserve with OpenTable
Acquerello is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #258 of 5,866 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Nob Hill
Cross street: Polk
Transit: Van Ness Avenue is serviced by Muni bus lines 42,47,and 49. California Street. is serviced by the California Cable Car line. Sacramento Street. is serviced by Muni bus line 1. Polk Street. is serviced by Muni bus line 19.
Description: Acquerello, named for its original watercolors, envelops guests in a warm and gracious atmosphere the moment they arrive. "At Acquerello, we believe that refined luxury is always in style. Our desire is to provide our guests an experience of classic and contemporary Italian tastes in an elegant dining atmosphere." The 40 seat dining room has an upscale and quiet ambiance. The room, designed by John Wheatman, highlights the former chapel, graced with arches and a rustic wood-beamed vaulted ceiling, with warm Mediterranean colors of gold and terracotta. Acquerello's contemporary approach to Italain cuisine combines the freshest ingredients available, an innovative approach to classic Italian flavors, and modern techniques. Guests can design their own three, four or five course dinner with the Prix Fixe Menus or choose to enjoy the preset chef's Seasonal Tasting Menu. Acquerello,in its more than 25 years in operation, has received countless accolades and awards, including a Michelin star in the first-ever 2007 Bay Area guide, two Michelin Stars in 2015, and a Wine Spectator Grand Award for the wine list continuously since 2012.
Reviewed December 29, 2012

My husband had the classic tasting menu and loved the cauliflower budino and the lobster panzerotti. He was not quite as enthusiastic about the ridged pasta and the truffle stuffed chicken breast. Although his dessert listed semifreddo with a drizzle of chocolate sauce, he asked for a "downpour" and it was very good! I had a 3 course prix fixe and one nice thing they did was give me a mini portion of the cauliflower budino so that I would not be sitting there with nothing at the very beginning. My selections were all terrific: hand made Tarjarin tossed with burro fuso (butter) and I added the white truffle supplement; venison loin with huckleberries in a spiced venison glaze and for dessert panna cotta with apricot gelee. One expects a dinner with this many courses to take quite a long time but there were also long waits in between courses. Thus the 3 hour experience lasted somewhat longer than at similar restaurants such as Manresa or Coi. But the service itself was excellent and the wine recommendation was very good.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

Acquerello is one of the restaurants I always wanted to visit but never had the chance. So when my friends came up to SF earlier this month, I suggested Acquerello. It was really good. My friends and I have been to Gary Danko's several times and considered it (still is) our top restaurant experience in the city. We really enjoyed Acquerello, and would definitely go back for a good Italian meal.

Food: We had the classic tasting menu. I had the black truffle venison tartar, risotto, pork loin and belly, and panna cotta. They were absolutely delicious. The black truffle came in a disc form covering the venison, very generous. I had my first risotto in Milan and remember the texture very well. The risotto at Acquerello was very creative with pomegranate and fruits etc, very delicious. I think their strongest dishes that night were the pasta. They have the texture right. The pork loin was very juicy. Some of my friends' dishes were nice but not memorable.

Wine: I was floored when my friends suggested a $55 2009 Oregon Pinot. So I did my talk with the Sommelier and told him the kind of Pinots I liked; He told me about the wine and said it is a very good wine and that we should try it. I also spotted a half bottle Pierre Peters for $58 dollar on the list. Amazing price. I asked if they have a full bottle, they didn't but he recommended a Pierre Gimonet for $98 (which I was considering already). The pinot was amazing. I later found out it was rated 92 points by Wine Spectator and retails at $40!

Overall experience: I like the food, the wine and the whole experience, but I found the service was a bit stiff for me from time to time (I don't think it was pretentious, but it had elements of it from time to time). One of my friends said he couldn't stand one of the wait staffs!

Anyway, I thought Acquerello is a very nice Italian restaurant and I will definite go back.

1  Thank Al S
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Loved the ambiance and expert service. I wasn't as pleased with the menu choices however. There was no beef choice for the 3 or 4 course menu only venison. A few of the choices didn't work so well; cuttle fish with taglietelle was bland, the pork loin was average while the walu had an unusual consistency. Other dishes were great; lobster ravioli and desserts generally excellent. Overall the food falls a bit short of the top notch comparable city dining choices.

1  Thank fcarr
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Absolutely fantastic. Would definitely go back. Everything was outstanding. Must do classic tasting menu.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Acquerello is one of my favorite San Francisco restaurants. Professional and friendly waiters/waitresses, beautiful quiet dining room, and delicious, well prepared food. You can order a la carte or prix fixe (mix and match from three to five courses).