“A dining masterpiece with food that looks as good as it tastes.”
Review of La Folie

La Folie
Reserve with OpenTable
La Folie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #292 of 5,826 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, French, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Russian Hill
Cross street: Union & Green Streets
Transit: 19 Polk, get off on Polk and Green street. 49 Van Ness, get off on Union and walk one block East to Polk street
Reviewed June 17, 2007

I was surprised to see how small the restaurant was and how modest its storefront was.

But once inside, the experience is extraordinary. The customer service was excellent. For those who enjoy a true dining experience and fine French food, this is your restaurant!

Our waiter was attentive, helpful, friendly, and presented each of our dishes with a wonderful description. We each had the 5 course meal. The little amuse-bouches & bonuses thrown in were fun. Each dish looked so nice that we didn't want to ruin them by eating it. But once you tasted the food.....Wow!

These are the kind of dishes that you eat slowly and talk about with the person(s) that you're dining with. My wife & I ate off of each others plates because we wanted to try as many different dishes as possible. We were both stuffed by the end of the night. I can eat quite a bit too, so the portions are perfect.

The people are extremely friendly and not pretentious at all unlike some other high end restaurants that we've been to. At the end of the night, we walked to the door, and the hostess asked us if we needed a cab. We said, "Yes." She then proceeded to walk outside and hail a cab for us! It was unexpected, but it was representative of how the staff at this restaurant go out of their way to provide top notch customer service.

Try this place out. You won't regret it.

1  Thank takedown8

Reviewed June 2, 2007

Our friends had been recommending this restaurant for years but we kept putting it off until recently. We were 17 minutes late for our reservation but the hostess didn't make a fuss and seated us right away.

The banquettes are very comfortable and the copper tones of the decor make the restaurant cozy and intimate. There were many French-speaking people who seemed to enjoy their food.

The frogs's legs were crisp and tasty. The rabbit was very good. Our favorite was the salmon, which had the silkiest flesh I had ever tasted. The foie gras melted in my mouth and perfectly complemented my champagne.

We had the 5-course tasting menu and it was just right even for my husband, who has a huge appetite.

1  Thank tyropower
Reviewed March 4, 2007

Dinner at La Folie

I just had dinner with my wife at La Folie restaurant in San Francisco. Here are the highlights:

La Folie is located on a busy section of Polk St. Finding street parking is very difficult. They have valet parking on the front. You will get your ticket and hand it to the maître d'. They will add it to your bill: $15.

We were walked into the restaurant and the place looks very lively and packed. We were immediately greeted by the maître d' and got directed to our table. Unfortunately we were ushered through the room to a back room (“Private room”). Our table was up against the wine cellar. If you are visiting the restaurant, insist on being seating in the main dining room! The back dining room is very cold (freezing cold) and has a lonely feeling. There is kitchen door on the side of the room and constantly being opened and closed by the staff.

Both my wife and I ordered the 4-course menu.

We received a complimentary rare Ahi Tuna shashimi (very small portion, the size of a quarter) with micro salad. Very nice texture and taste with slight hint of vinaigrette dressing.

Course 1 - Salad:

Lobster salad was absolutely the best. Lobster was served on the rare side with surprisingly great taste (I am not a big fan of rare food). The picked vegetable and fennel salad had a slight crunch with a pleasing vinaigrette dressing. Highly recommended! Goat Cheese salad also received high remarks from my wife. Great taste and the goat cheese was not over powering.

Course 2 – Appetizer
Hudson Valley Foie Gras: the Foie Gras was out of this world! Warm Foie Gras was served on toasted bread toped with combination of small berries (Huckenberries?) and balsamic vinegar. I highly recommended ordering the Foie Gras at this place.

Palate cleanser: They served a small shut glass filled with sparkling plate cleanser and crushed dried mint.

Course 3 – Main Course
Rack of Lamb was the best! It was served medium-rare (the waiter didn’t ask us how I want the meat prepared). This was definitely the highlight of the meal. The best parts were the stuffed cabbage with sweetbread and puree of parsnip. The puree of parsnip had the same texture and look of mashed potato with a pronounced taste of parsnip! My wife was disappointed with the Veal Loin. Apparently the bacon parts were overpowering the taste of the dish. If you like bacon, you may enjoy this dish.

Course 4 – Dessert
Sorbets selections were Green Apple, Cassis and raspberry. The green apple taste like an actual green apple. That sounds weird, but sometimes sorbets can be really sweet. Not in this case. I was really debating to order the Chocolate Fondamt or the sorbet. I was actually glad to order a light dessert. The coconut tapioca is also highly recommended.

At the end, they brought a complimentary set of four small dessert (very small treats). Very disappointing! I would recommend skipping these complimentary treats. They actually ruin the good taste of your meal.

The service was remarkable! We received constant attention without being interrupted. Our waiter was bringing break, check on the wine, etc. just at the right moment. Very pleasing experience. At the end, we were visited by the gentlemen who seemed to be the chef/owner asking us about our experience. Everything was great! As we were walking out of the restaurant, our car was waiting for us outside the restaurant.

Dinner cost: about $200 for the 4 course menu. ~$100 worth of drinks, parking, etc. 15% tip. Total damage: $350.00

Summary: The food and service are just wonderful. We will return to La Folie again; however, I will not order the water ($8.50 for a small bottle of Fiji) and would bring my own wine and pay the corkage fee next time.

5  Thank BBadvisor
Reviewed December 30, 2006

It's one of the best if no the THE best meal I have ever had in San Francisco, and that's saying a lot! The room is romantic, with tall ceilings, and long brown fabric panels hanging on the walls. The service was sophisticated, professional, and attentive. The food,however was the star! We dined here on Dec 29, 2006, and the 3 of us ordered 3 differ prix fixe meals. We had the option of adding a quarter ounce of fresh Perigord black truffles a la The French Laundry ($35) to our entrees, which we did, and wow, was it spectacular! We had lobster, veal loin, foie gras (their signature), and one vegetarian menu. All of it was fantastic. The wine was expensive but very good. All in all, we could have eaten here for less money, but all three of us agreed that this was a meal to remember, right up there with the French Laundry, Alain Ducasse & Taillevent in Paris, and Daniel Bolud in New York.

1  Thank Randy S
Reviewed October 27, 2006

Service is terrible, the waiter was rude to say less. 3 out of 4 courses where not that special, the foie gras was the best item but the portion was so big that you could not eat anymore. Suggestions by the waiter was bad. Not worth it at all. Go to Gary Danko for the price....

5  Thank natcat