“Great French restaurant outside of France”
Review of La Folie

La Folie
Reserve with OpenTable
La Folie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #270 of 5,693 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, French, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Russian Hill
Cross street: Union & Green Streets
Transit: 19 Polk, get off on Polk and Green street. 49 Van Ness, get off on Union and walk one block East to Polk street
USA
“Great French restaurant outside of France”
Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

Original, well cooked and well presented, great service!
The lobster was great. Very good quail and squab
Short wine list by the glass

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Nashville, Tennessee
“A Taste of Paris in SF”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

As we drove through an "interesting" neighborhood to this venerable French Restaurant in Russian Hill we had some doubts, but stepping into this small but elegant space transported us to the banks of the Seine. The food was fantastic, French, innovative without going molecular and most important delicious. For example an appetizer composed of a duck egg fried tempura style was brilliant. The egg had a hard coating but the center remained molten so when sliced in half the yolk coated the truffle custard and wild mushrooms on the plate. A terrine of pig feet meat, sweetbreads and lobster on a bed of lentils is another example of fantastic cooking with amazing taste. Lobster risotto with a shaving of summer truffle was as much lobster as rice. Each of the meat courses exhibited the same mix of innovation with wonderful taste-rosy duck breast with confit and duck liver mousse; rack of lamb but served sans bones as a solid piece of meat with ratatouille; and the most innovative a roti of quail and squab in which the meat of one bird was surrounded by the meat of the other with potato strips. I had a cheese course for dessert chosing 3 varieties one of which was epoisse-this was served warm in a shell topped with pungent salad greens-what a great idea. The service matched the food as did our wine choices. As at the best 3 star restaurants in France, Chef Passot visited each table to discuss that eve's experience. We left believing that we had been in Paris as we returned to the hills of San Francisco.

San Angelo, Texas
“Superb!”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Like most other reviewers, I thought the food was outstanding, the service was spot on, friendly and attentive. I ordered the 5 course tasting menu and up charged to the Wagyu Rib-eye. It was perhaps the best steak I have ever had. The other courses were good as well but for the money, I wanted to be blown away and was not. Overall diner was a pleasant positive experience but one that you will pay dearly for.

San Francisco, California
“Four-star France in Frisco, amazing food.”
Reviewed July 25, 2014

I have to say this is one of the better dining experiences I have had in quite awhile. I wish I would have dined here much sooner. I felt like I could have been in Paris and the service was impeccable, understated and unhurried. All 4 of us got the 5 course meal selections and shared what people were willing to give up, which was a difficult task. I had one of the best preparations of Dungeness Crab I have tasted with the very crabby Dungeness Crab and Peach Salad. Also a star for the appetizer course was "Tasting of Passot Roe,” with Scallop Ceviche, Hamachi Sashimi, and Kusshi Oyster. A couple of other dishes that stood out were the Lobster and Mushroom Risotto with chunks of lobster, Duck Breast Coq au Vin medium rare and the rack of lamb nailed it. We were all slapped silly with the killer Bittersweet Chocolate Fondant. We opted for separate glasses of wine with the different courses and were extremely pleased with the choices and recommendations. If you live in the City or are visiting you have to go to this restaurant. There is a reason the San Francisco Chronicle rated this as one of only handful of 4 star restaurants in the city!

1 Thank 180michaelm
Orlando, FL
“Wonderful dining experience”
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

We dined with our 20 year old son and had high expectations. La Folie exceeded our expectations! I had the chef's tasting menu with wine pairing. My husband and son had the regular 5 course menu. We started with Russian Caviar to share. They presented us with 3 additional small bites from the chef. Every bite was outstanding! The service was very pleasant, professional and on point. We were never rushed, but there was never a moment we needed something that was not already provided. I told the server that I wished I could remember the description of each dish and she presented me with a copy of the menu autographed by Chef Passot. Since I had ordered the wine pairing with the chef's tasting menu, I was a little surprised that I never saw the sommelier. However, my server did a nice job of describing the wines.

Visited July 2014