“Four-star France in Frisco, amazing food.”
Review of La Folie

La Folie
Reserve with OpenTable
La Folie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #311 of 5,777 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, French, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Russian Hill
Cross street: Union & Green Streets
Transit: 19 Polk, get off on Polk and Green street. 49 Van Ness, get off on Union and walk one block East to Polk street
Reviewed July 25, 2014

I have to say this is one of the better dining experiences I have had in quite awhile. I wish I would have dined here much sooner. I felt like I could have been in Paris and the service was impeccable, understated and unhurried. All 4 of us got the 5 course meal selections and shared what people were willing to give up, which was a difficult task. I had one of the best preparations of Dungeness Crab I have tasted with the very crabby Dungeness Crab and Peach Salad. Also a star for the appetizer course was "Tasting of Passot Roe,” with Scallop Ceviche, Hamachi Sashimi, and Kusshi Oyster. A couple of other dishes that stood out were the Lobster and Mushroom Risotto with chunks of lobster, Duck Breast Coq au Vin medium rare and the rack of lamb nailed it. We were all slapped silly with the killer Bittersweet Chocolate Fondant. We opted for separate glasses of wine with the different courses and were extremely pleased with the choices and recommendations. If you live in the City or are visiting you have to go to this restaurant. There is a reason the San Francisco Chronicle rated this as one of only handful of 4 star restaurants in the city!

1  Thank 180michaelm
There are newer reviews for La Folie

Reviewed July 22, 2014

We dined with our 20 year old son and had high expectations. La Folie exceeded our expectations! I had the chef's tasting menu with wine pairing. My husband and son had the regular 5 course menu. We started with Russian Caviar to share. They presented us with 3 additional small bites from the chef. Every bite was outstanding! The service was very pleasant, professional and on point. We were never rushed, but there was never a moment we needed something that was not already provided. I told the server that I wished I could remember the description of each dish and she presented me with a copy of the menu autographed by Chef Passot. Since I had ordered the wine pairing with the chef's tasting menu, I was a little surprised that I never saw the sommelier. However, my server did a nice job of describing the wines.

1  Thank Marilyn G
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

This was a fabulous fine dining experience with lots of little extra touches. Food and service superb, and the price is reasonable for such quality. Just go.

2  Thank Anne S
Reviewed July 2, 2014

We had last been to La Folie on 7/1/2013, for our 6th year wedding anniversary. This visit was on 7/1/2014, for our ... well, you get the drift.

We started with an ounce of Russian caviar, served on potato blinis stuffed with lobster. Delightful, of course. The lobster proved to be a bit of a distraction from the caviar, so my wife ate it separately. Probably the right decision.

For starters, I had the sauteed burgundy snails in pernod lemon butter, with fried parsely on top and bone marrow gratin. Delightful! Most people prefer to serve snails swimming laps in pools of butter. THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!. But that's not what this was -- the sauce focused the tongue on the snails, but it wasn't oily or heavy like butter, and still a delightful way to get rid of some table bread :)

Shannan had the butter-poached lobster with english pea ravioli, spring salad with almonds, and nantaise carrot sauce. Their first attempt at this was a little bit chewy, which was surprising. We sent it back (seriously, if there's one thing you should take from my reviews is: If you're not happy at a good restaurant, send it back. They'll thank you for it) and they redid it, noting they thought the first version was a little over-stressed. The second lobster was quite delightful -- exactly what we'd have hoped for. The contrast between the buttery lobster and the crispy, acidy, spring salad woke both of these flavors up.

For our main course, I had the seared beef tenderloin, medium-rare. It was not the best steak I've ever had. The best steak I've ever had was the Wagyu ribeye I had at La Folie a year ago, at a $75 surcharge. This steak, however, was the best steak for which I've not had to mortgage my house. It was seared perfectly, with a crispy salty edge; but inside is where it shone, where it was tender, and almost melted in your mouth. I was full and couldn't finish it at this point, but took the last bite or two home, because there was no way in hell I was not going to get to finish this steak one way or another. Amazing.

Shannan had the roti of quail and squab, stuffed with miled mushrooms and wrapped in crispy potato strings, with truffled jus. Whereas my steak was tender, tasty, and mild, hers was a bold assault on your mouth -- the sort of attack you'd welcome with open arms. The truffles, coupled with the mushrooms, made their presence clear, as well as the crunchy exterior of the birds. It was a delightful, brash, dish. Very different from my steak, of course, but ... I'd be hard pressed to say which was better.

For dessert, she had the baked alaska, which in addition to being delightful and peachy, was also profoundly beautifully served. I had the Edam Cheese Souffle, with fromage blanc sorbet, crispy bacon, and white sesame tuile. And man oh man ... it made me laugh. Dessert, certainly, but imagine bacon and eggs made into a dessert. It was a delightful, quirky, and unusual flavor palette that I've never seen in a dessert before, but I'd be happy to see again.

Not exactly the sort of place I'd go to monthly -- not on my salary, at least -- but for special occasions? La Folie continues to blow our socks off.

2  Thank Roy R
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We had a wonderful meal here on a visit to San Francisco in March. I loved the ability to mix and match the dishes on the menu and meant that we got to try everything we wanted. The various amuse bouche were lovely and a nice touch The staff were fantastic - friendly, helpful and knowledgeable without being intrusive. Everyone (including the kitchen) were really accommodating of my husbands nut allergy and modified dishes where necessary, including the amuse bouche and little extras. We even got to have a nice chat with the chef after our meal which was a nice touch.

1  Thank gemcan83