“La Folie Comes Through”
Review of La Folie

La Folie
Reserve with OpenTable
La Folie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #56 of 5,946 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, French, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Russian Hill
Cross street: Union & Green Streets
Transit: 19 Polk, get off on Polk and Green street. 49 Van Ness, get off on Union and walk one block East to Polk street
Reviewed February 19, 2014

We are in San Francisco from 1 to 4x per month. Historically, my wife and I dine together on Sunday night, then she has a business dinner, and I explore the city, hoping to find a great restaurant to share with her, on the next Sunday. About a year ago, I dined solo at La Folie, and while good, it took about 12 mos. for them to get into our couples' dining experience - lot of very good, to great restaurants in San Francisco!

We had a business trip move a bit, and found that we were dining together on a Monday night. After many others, I went with La Folie. I am very glad that I did. We arrived slightly before opening, and were seated in the bar, where we began with a half-bottle of Champagne, while waiting for our table (and the opening of the restaurant). We were promptly seated, and in a room that was rather different from my earlier visit.

Service was perfect, and we began right away. Though we had started with Champagne at the bar, we continued in that vein. We opted for the full Chef's Tasting Menu, plus the Sommelier's wine pairings.

Each dish, plus the amuse bouche, were excellent, as were the wines. My main was a Petite Filet (same dish that I ordered at Alfred's, the next night), and it was in my all-time top-10 - just excellent, and more tender than most Wagyu, or even Kobe. I definitely could cut it with my fork, and the texture was like firm pudding. The flavors were outstanding. [Too bad that Alfred's could not do a Filet like that.] As I stated, this Filet was in the top-10, and I found that a bit odd. Who goes to a French restaurant for a wonderful Beef Filet? Well, La Folie would be an exception. As an aside, another top-10 was at an Italian restaurant in Poipu, Kaua`i, HI, so stranger things have happened!

Every dish was very good, to exceptional. The service could not be faulted at any point, from the greeting at the bar, through our meal. While my first visit was OK, this one was excellent. My wife has commented, "I could do La Folie again," and that is a great sign - so could I. Not sure why my first visit was not exceptional, but perhaps I suffered, as I was dining solo, without my wife?

We will definitely be back, and they would have made it into my "best ever restaurants," were it not for the fact that we have been fortunate to have dined at many of the best in the world - still, La Folie was way up our list.

1  Thank The_Loup_Garou

Reviewed February 2, 2014

I try to visit La Folie when I am in San Francisco. It is a traditional fine restaurant -- the food presentation and taste is impeccable, the wine list provides a nice selection for a range of prices, and the service is flawless. I have reason to be back in San Francisco in April and have already booked a return visit (the restaurant is relatively small so one needs to reserve well in advance). What can I say -- for foodies or a gourmand this is a must visit. I doubt one would be disappointed, however like any truly fine meal it can be pricey. Given my tastes and preferences (especially for decent wines) it is hard to escape for less than $400 for two, including tip etc, and it is likely to be more if one has a taste for caviar, fresh truffles, and other tempting delicacies. One doesn't go to La Folie with any concern about cost -- it is an absolute fine dine with unrivaled service and food quality. By my taste it deserves at least one Michelin star (if it were in Lyon it would have at least one star; in a less gastronomic location possibly two. It is a must try for those appreciate a truly fine dine.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

What a brilliant meal! So many courses and all delicious. Our server, Eva was simply amazing. She knew how to pace the courses so we never felt rushed but yet she was always at the ready. She never seemed to be there except when we needed something or had a question and then she magically appeared. If you are ever in San Francisco, you must try this amazing restaurant. I will definitely return soon.

1  Thank Travelotely
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Visited in November and had a really good meal and experience at La Folie. Our server was somewhat "strange" and overly theatrical in the way he talked to everyone (almost trying to be too professional) but he was efficient and provided knowledge and good service. The Som was friendly and professional in serving a bottle of Champy from the wine list and then opening a bottle of Burg that we brought with us. The food was truly excellent. We did four courses and it was more than enough food, and am glad we did not feel disappointed in not ordering the five course menu. The duck with the little duck tongues on top was just amazing as were the lamb chops. Actually, the lamb that night was probably one of the best anywhere. Seriously. The pigs trotter and sweetbread terrine was really nice as was the tasting of Trout roe along with the Lobster Risotto. The Baked Alaska for dessert is a keeper! Chef Passot was roaming the dining room briefly checking in with patrons, always a nice touch. Dinner was actually a real deal and good value for what you got compared to other fine dining alternatives in the city and elsewhere.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We had a great anniversary dinner at La Folie. The 4 course meal was fabulous. We brought our own bottle of wine and learned that we could have the $40 corkage fee (high in my view) credited to another bottle of wine from the wine list that was $50 or higher. We did this with a dessert wine and our excellent waitress was happy to pack the left over wine in a bag to go.

1  Thank Redwood789