“Very good, but not quite 5 star for this price point and reputation.”
Review of La Folie

La Folie
Reserve with OpenTable
La Folie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #303 of 5,825 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, French, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Russian Hill
Cross street: Union & Green Streets
Transit: 19 Polk, get off on Polk and Green street. 49 Van Ness, get off on Union and walk one block East to Polk street
Reviewed October 10, 2013

My husband and I heard wonderful things about La Folie so we made reservations far in advance. It was a quick taxi ride from our hotel, and we were greeted and seated right away. The restaurant was completely filled when we came in as well as when we left. The main disappointment for us was being seated in the smaller dark green room. It is hard to explain, but neither my husband or myself have ever felt claustrophobic in a restaurant before, but we felt that way here. If the restaurant had not been so busy, we would have requested seating in the main brighter room. Something about the smaller space and the dark green walls. It made us want to leave as quickly as possible even though the food was good. Normally we don't mind service that takes time, but because of the room, we wished it had been faster. If we were to go back we would request ahead of time not to be seated in this room.
Aside from the room, the service and the food were very good. We had heard the portions were large so we each only ordered the three course menu. It was still too much for us, though a person with a large appetite would be please. (My husband is a 6 foot body builder and it was still too much for him.) I felt so bad leaving behind some of the lamb I had for my third course, which was quite good. The soup was excellent and the heirloom tomato salad offered was quite good.
Amuse bouche were very good, presentations were lovely, some items we ordered, while good, did not seem five star. All of the items were ordered were savory, we opted not to order anything sweet, but at the end of the meal a small tray of sweets were brought to the table. Tasted a couple which were quite good, but ... were too full to even eat those.
Would recomment this restaurant, but we would just request the main dining room the next time.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Superb French restaurant in Russian Hill ( 15 min cab ride from downtown ). Cool lounge next door to chill while you wait. Very attentive service, great sommelier. Extremely comprehensive wine list heavy on French varietals. Don't come in a hurry, our meal was 3.5 hours. Food was sublime so worth waiting for.

1  Thank ESBLman
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We booked here to celebrate my girlfriends birthday...what a night...
We can't speak highly enough of the level of food and service hat we had... Friday night , packed house...we had booked a couple of months before and were greeted and sat, we had impeccable
service all night from our team of waiters and waitresses...our sommelier explained that he was covering for their regular guy.. he was superb..
Weave off of the a la carte menu...amazing flavours and presentation... Great portion sizes and wine to match...
I even popped in to see Chef to thank him for our amazing experience...
Would highly recommend to anyone looking for a truely outstanding food experience..

Reviewed September 6, 2013

We tried the taster menu with matching wines .. And paid extra to have lobster in our menu. The food was presented beautifully as you'd expect from this sort of restaurant, and tasted deliciously. I did find that the am taster menu was too much food for me, but my husband coped quite well. Really would recommend especially for a nice occasion, mind you the tables were quite close to each other. Aside from that I can't fault it.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We have a really good time at this restaurant. The service are perfect, the food are delicious and even if it cost more than 300,00 for two, the value are acceptable.