“Simply Exceptional”
Review of La Folie

La Folie
Reserve with OpenTable
La Folie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #313 of 5,769 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, French, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Russian Hill
Cross street: Union & Green Streets
Transit: 19 Polk, get off on Polk and Green street. 49 Van Ness, get off on Union and walk one block East to Polk street
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I visited while on vacation on Napa with friends. We decided to go with a 4 course menu with wine pairing. Although I can't remember each wine paired with each dish, the sommelier did an excellent job at customizing each wine for each dish each person ordered. There is also some Amuse Bouche served making the 4 courses probably one too many as the portions are bigger than you might expect from this caliber of meal.

I started with the Asparagus soup which is served with a poached quail egg and big chunks of lobster which was paired with a Suavignon Blanc. Next I had the Warm Pig Feet, Sweetbread and Lobster Terrine paired with a Chardonnay. I thought this dish could not be topped but I was soon proven wrong. Next we all had the Lobster and Mushroom Risotto and we all opted for the $20 addition of freshly shave truffles. This was paired wonderful Burgundy. This was everything you might expect from a Truffle Lobster Risotto. I finished with the highlight of my evening which was Liberty Farm Duck Breast And Crispy Duck Confit Gateau paired with a Bordeaux. 2 large slices of duck breast cooked perfectly medium rare were served alongside a Confit of duck made from the dark meat. To top it off were a few duck tongues. This was my first experience with duck tongue. The texture was much different than I expected and I was pleasantly surprised.

All in all, one of the best meals I've ever eaten anywhere in the world and It didn't break the bank. Although they only have one Michelin Star, the service and food made me feel like I was at a 3 Michelin Star restaurant.

1  Thank Clubcoco1
There are newer reviews for La Folie

Reviewed May 15, 2013

La Folie is small, which is good because the servers are not stretched too thin. Impeccable service. The sommelier did a wonderful job steering us toward a wine we very much enjoyed. The chef came a couple times to our table to check that we were satisfied.

I especially enjoyed the asparagus soup, the goat cheese tatin, the beef selection (upgrade to the kobe/wagyu over the beef tenderloin if you have the option when you go; it's worth it), and the cheese selection. The chocolate mousse was also lovely.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

It's been about 6 months since I was there, but everyone in my party was sorely disappointed with the evening. A great restaurant experience begins the moment you walk in the door - or - in this case - the moment you drop your car off for valet parking. We pulled up and there was no valet on duty; so we waited...and waited for about 5-7 minutes. I know 5 minutes doesn't seem like a long time to wait, but when you are paying these kinds of prices in a food-crazy city like San Francisco, details matter. Upon entering the restaurant, we overheard a customer who wanted to leave complaining to the maitre d' that they had already waited 10 minutes for their car to arrive. The maitre d' mentioned that they were "short staffed," which - again - is inexcusable for a restaurant of this calibre. The food was fine, but hardly innovative, and portions were too big (especially the beef course). I know that some people think that's a good thing, but I prefer a tasting menu that is sized more appropriately so that one is not completely stuffed before dessert. We found the decor to be tacky and dated (I thought I was on the set of Miami Vice), and we could clearly hear a lot of noise from the kitchen. Service was okay, until our waiter spilled wine on one member of our party; he was apologetic, but - frankly - could have done more to remedy the situation. We also noticed another server who "lost" some of the food from the plate as she was carrying it to its destination (she had to hightail it back to the kitchen). All in all, our evening did not even come CLOSE to the experiences we have had at Gary Danko (a far better choice, in my opinion) or the French Laundry.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We had dinner here on our last night in San Francisco and would definitely return. A beautiful and luxurious evening in every way. One feels like you have walked into a Parisian salon and it is so quiet...you can actually have a conversation without shouting across the table! We opted for the four courses - the lamb was divine as was the rabbit...but you have to be really hungry - I think our eyes were a bit bigger than our appetites! Food was beautifully prepared in every way and the service was excellent -- friendly, attentive and knowledgeable. Very nice wine list as well. A visit with the chef topped off the evening. We look forward to returning.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Simply extraordinary, innovative cuisine. The accompaniments are just as interesting as the main parts of the dishes. Amuse bouche between courses equally tasty and interesting. Everything was top notch, but I though two of the dishes I had (rabbit 3 ways and tempura duck egg) were among the best I sampled at the table.

Interesting twist in the prix fixe concept-- select the number of courses (3,4,5) and regardless of what you order the price is the same. 3 desserts? 3 Appetizers? 5 main courses-- no problem! (But good luck as the serving sizes are generous.)

Decors understated and elegant. Service exceptional.
If you can afford it well worth the price ($80 for 3 courses, not including wine/beverages).