“Excellent Russian Hill Neighborhood Find”
Review of Frascati

Neighborhood: Russian Hill
Cross street: Green Street
Transit: Hyde & Powell Cable Car line
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Small restaurant, intimate setting and the San Francisco cable car rattles by the front door. You can't ask for much more to complete this as a true SF experience. NOT a touristy SF experience mind you, but an authentic neighborhood restaurant that offers a varied menu, reasonably priced options and a great wine list. Low lights, a hushed tone - you can actually carry on a conversation with others at your table - what a concept. Excellent service.

Making reservations is probably a good idea, and remember it's Russian Hill, so parking can/will be tough. Good reason to take the cable car!

Reviewed March 27, 2013

What an awesome find! Great service, Great food and nice atmosphere. Definitely give the gnochi and risotto a try, chicken was also very good! If you opt for desert the bread pudding is more like a brownie and for us was a bit dissapointing but the Apple Cobbler was to die for!

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We celebrated our son's birthday at Frascati's. He had learned about it through yelp with great reviews there. The wine selections are the highest quality, the food made to order, the staff wonderfully attentive and accommodating, and every request was met with alacrity and a smile. My dietary restrictions resulted in the chef creating a special order. We savored the duck, filet mignon, monk fish, and pork chop. Desserts we tried: artisan cheeses, chocolate bread pudding, panna cotta, and Bailey's cheesecake. Everything was perfect and delicious. We finished with vin santo, one of my favorites. Expect to pay around $100 per person for a three course meal with wine for each course, including tip. The restaurant itself is small, but the cuisine is magnificent!

1  Thank John M
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My wife and I have eaten here twice in the past 2 weeks (the second time with our daughter), and both times were perfect. Frascati is relatively small neighborhood restaurant near Hyde & Union on top of Russian Hill, and for a start, it has exactly the right warm buzz for inviting you in off the street. We had two different servers on two different evenings, and both were friendly, professional, and expertly walked us through the choices. Everything we had was delicious, but a stand-out for us was the duck confit salad - incredible!!!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

The restaurant was 1.1 miles from out hotel. Google Maps said it would take us 25 minutes to walk there, and that sounded nice to us, figuring we could walk off a few of the calories. My wife and I walk pretty fast and thought we would make it in half the time. Well, right at 25 minutes we walked in the door, barely breathing, letting them know we had a 5:30 reservation. I think 9/10s of the walk was uphill. For the rest of our vacation we took MUNI.

I had the filet mignon, which was excellent. I have steak practically every time I eat out, and this steak had a unique flavor that's hard for me to describe beyond saying that it was fantastic. My wife had the roasted chicken which also had a rich, unique quality that was very good. We didn't have any dessert because there wasn't anything chocolate except for bread pudding--which I hate.

The service was also good. The waitress was warm and friendly without pretending we were long lost friends.

My only complaint was that there were no free refills on soda--maybe it's a San Francisco thing. If I'm dropping a $100 for dinner I'd like a free soda.