“More than excellent and priced accordingly”
Review of Frascati

Neighborhood: Russian Hill
Cross street: Green Street
Transit: Hyde & Powell Cable Car line
Fort Lau
“More than excellent and priced accordingly”
Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

We celebrated our son's birthday at Frascati's. He had learned about it through yelp with great reviews there. The wine selections are the highest quality, the food made to order, the staff wonderfully attentive and accommodating, and every request was met with alacrity and a smile. My dietary restrictions resulted in the chef creating a special order. We savored the duck, filet mignon, monk fish, and pork chop. Desserts we tried: artisan cheeses, chocolate bread pudding, panna cotta, and Bailey's cheesecake. Everything was perfect and delicious. We finished with vin santo, one of my favorites. Expect to pay around $100 per person for a three course meal with wine for each course, including tip. The restaurant itself is small, but the cuisine is magnificent!

1 Thank John M

San Francisco, California
“Brilliant neighborhood gem”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My wife and I have eaten here twice in the past 2 weeks (the second time with our daughter), and both times were perfect. Frascati is relatively small neighborhood restaurant near Hyde & Union on top of Russian Hill, and for a start, it has exactly the right warm buzz for inviting you in off the street. We had two different servers on two different evenings, and both were friendly, professional, and expertly walked us through the choices. Everything we had was delicious, but a stand-out for us was the duck confit salad - incredible!!!

• Visited March 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Nice Restaurant - I Liked It”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The restaurant was 1.1 miles from out hotel. Google Maps said it would take us 25 minutes to walk there, and that sounded nice to us, figuring we could walk off a few of the calories. My wife and I walk pretty fast and thought we would make it in half the time. Well, right at 25 minutes we walked in the door, barely breathing, letting them know we had a 5:30 reservation. I think 9/10s of the walk was uphill. For the rest of our vacation we took MUNI.

I had the filet mignon, which was excellent. I have steak practically every time I eat out, and this steak had a unique flavor that's hard for me to describe beyond saying that it was fantastic. My wife had the roasted chicken which also had a rich, unique quality that was very good. We didn't have any dessert because there wasn't anything chocolate except for bread pudding--which I hate.

The service was also good. The waitress was warm and friendly without pretending we were long lost friends.

My only complaint was that there were no free refills on soda--maybe it's a San Francisco thing. If I'm dropping a $100 for dinner I'd like a free soda.

• Visited March 2013
Plano, Texas
“Intimate Neighborhood Spot”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Wonderful neighborhood find in the Russian Hill district. A small ever changing menu with a really great wine list. Service was attentive and knowledgable. We felt comfortable here and enjoyed our steak and seafood ( grouper ) choices for dinner.
Did not eat dessert -- nothing sparked our tastebuds.

Visited March 2013
Traverse City, Michigan
“Expensive and (nearly) worth it”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We decided to choose Frascati's as our "last night in SF" dinner based, in part, on the reviews here in Trip Advisor. It is very good indeed...and very expensive (dinner for two with appetizers, entrees, desserts, coffees, wine, and tip, came to $200).

It was nearly perfect. I was struck to see in steak tartare on the menu, and ordered it immediately. It was superbly done and, in fact, as my wife described it, "almost refreshing." My risotto with braised beef was equally delicious as were my wife's scallops. Serving sizes were judicious and neither skimpy nor gargantuan.

An unexpected surprise was the dessert. We eschewed most of the prepared offerings except for one: the ice cream. My wife opted for a coconut and blueberry flavored option that was as dense and flavorful as pudding. I chose the macadame-honey ice cream that was equally rich and satisfying. Add in a couple of double shots of (decaf!) espresso and it was a very nice finish to a superb meal.

The restaurant has tight, but still well-spaced tables. We noticed there was also a second level of dining tables, as well, which helps space out the diners. Since we were eating at prime dinner-hour, the restaurant was packed but neither the service nor the food suffered.

Moreover, with a cable car stop virtually right out the front door, there's no need for a cab or rental car.

There was only one minor set back. The restaurant boasts a very good wine list, with several good choices by the glass. Because my wife and I were selecting very different appetizers and entrees it was clear there would not be one bottle to span those selections. When we asked our waiter for suggestions for each he seem dumb-founded. He told us of a few wines he personally liked, but could not make a specific recommendation for accompaniment. So we went with our instincts and chose them ourselves (which of course, was accompanied by the generic and oddly ironic, "excellent selection" comments by our waiter). Still, for a restaurant of this quality and strength, even if he did not have the ability to offer a wine pairing, he should have resources to someone there who could.

But again, that ended up a minor issue for us. Just be sure to make reservations. 'Cause on this particular Thursday night in February, Frascati's was packed.

• Visited February 2013