Review of Frascati

Reserve with OpenTable
Frascati is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #56 of 5,884 Restaurants in San Francisco
Neighborhood: Russian Hill
Cross street: Green Street
Transit: Hyde & Powell Cable Car line
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Food, service and the ambiance here is great. What is worth writing a review? - their French toast for dessert and cheese plate. I can't wait to go back and have the French toast again. The cheese selections and combinations for cheese plate are quite yummy as well.

1  Thank Nomadic_Piggie

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Some things on their menu change seasonally, such as soups and salads... some never change, such as the presence of asucculent duck breast entree (sauces may change)... and the service is always excellent! This is one of my neighborhood favorites for Russian Hill.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

A friend's sudden trip to San Francisco resulted in a spontaneous get together at this establishment , named after a city in Italy (as well as a white wine varietal) which was recommended by her hotel. First, if driving be forewarned this is one of the toughest neighborhoods in which to find parking so give yourself enough time to look for a place or settle for parking lots on Polk Street. The restaurant is small so tables are close to each other. Service was professional and friendly. When the starters came out I looked at my friend's tomato & basil soup. My first thought was it looked like someone had opened a can of stewed tomatoes and dumped it in a bowl. There was nothing appetizing about the presentation (and it wasn't just the dim lighting playing a role in my reaction.) My friend had exactly the same reaction and sent it back to the kitchen. I fared better with my choices. I started with the house gnocchi which were the real deal - truly home made - and redolent of garlic. I followed that with the duck confit salad. The salad as listed on the menu featured spinach as the main green. I requested if this could be changed and was given numerous choices and opted for arugula which held up well with the dressing which was a tad over dressed for my taste. The visuals on the other items ordered by the group were good, especially the filet mignon. That said, no one was overwhelmed so don't expect to be heading back any time soon.The wine list is well edited, global in its scope and relatively reasonable. Perhaps we hit it on an off night but given the prices if that is the case they need to stay on their game.

Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

Went for dinner here with a large group. The restaurant is smaller but there was enough room for everyone. We sat right over the kitchen and so got to see all the amazing food coming out.

The service was friendly, prompt and very courteous. The silverware I think is real silver as well! They truly made our party feel special and took very good care of us.

The food was out of this world. The gnocchi was to die for. The tartar wan exceptional. The duck breast was so satisfying I had a hard time not going into a food coma. The bread pudding sealed the deal. They highly recommend the pork chop which looked amazing and at least two people at our table can vouch for how great it was. Everyone licked their plates clean!

I'd highly recommend this location and would love to go back for a fancy date or a special occasion.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Over the past several years my wife and I have been blessed enough to have experienced pretty much the best and most popular that the SF culinary world has to offer. Last night, however, was truly exceptional. Four of us dined at Frascati; a small neighborhood Italian restaurant on the Hyde Street cable line in the Russian Hill neighborhoodthat that offers a truly complete and satisfiying dining experience. The service is friendly, unpretentious and superb. We were greeted by our host Justin who, with his staff, took excellent care of us. Most impressive was his wine recommendation; a modestly priced($48) bottle of southern Rhone red; Vacqueyras, Domaine de Grand Montmirail, 2010. With it's smoothness and balance of fruit and spice, it seemed as if it should've been $150. The food, which is prepared under the direction of young chef Mike Pawlik is truly sublime; from the creamy burrata, arugula and tomato jam appetizer to the prosciutto wrapped monk fish or the bluenose bass piperade, the four of us were thoroughly satisfied and satiated.
But perhaps the highest praise I can bestow on this place is the fact that I feel that this small restaurant epitomizes most of what is so special about the SF culinary scene. If there was one place that I would recommend to an out-of-town visitor that was interested in experiencing a restaurant that reflected a true spirit of SF, then Frascati would probably be it. Bravo to owners Jon and Barbara Rader.