“Loved it!”

Restaurant Gary Danko
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Gary Danko is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 5,826 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

I want to start with saying that the service is great! Same with the food and the atmosphere. The few things that made it a 4 not 5 is: I ordered a steak, medium rare, but the steak I got was far from medium rare. Actually closer to well done. Another thing (maybe is becaus I'm european and it's not usual there) is that the pause between each course was far to short.
All in all: a great resturant!

Reviewed July 30, 2014

We booked here as a treat at the end of our vacation. It is well worth reserving if you can. The food was excellent. The menu is varied and interesting. There is a good mixture of seafood, meat and game to choose from. You can either have 3,4 or 5 courses. They also have a 5 course seasonal taster menu ($111). The wine list is daunting in both variety and expense, but I managed to find some excellent wines available by the glass. . The staff were courteous and informative. The atmosphere was busy but still relaxed. I booked almost 3 months in advance over the internet and the reservation team were very accommodating. This is an expensive night out (at least $100/head) but worth it.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

This restaurant is well reviewed. Its status, understood. The only thing I can possibly add is my quick story, and to toss 5 stars towards this fine restaurant and add another positive review to reassure the staff and any new patrons that it is a wonderful experience.

We were met and helped out of our cab at the door. The doorman took a couple of photos of us and showed us in. The restaurant is beautiful inside. Dark and intimate. There are amazing, truly helpful wonderful people working here. They are professional, attentive, knowledgeable, and, well, a treat to share the dining experience with on their own. From the cocktails, to the wine, the water and the food, the experience did not disappoint. The menu was expansive. The wine list, expansive. I was so overwhelmed with the availability of choices, I simply went with the 5 course chef's tasting. The food was great. I am not cultured, I do not talk about hues or hints of sage and glimpses of woody pine in my wine. I punted a lot of my dinner to the staff and they delivered. I will want to return.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

If you've come to this review, then you are probably already aware of this one Michelin star rated place. The food is great! The flavors are not as complex as Madrona Manor, but each dish is done extremely well. My wife said she had the best clam chowder here that she has ever had. However, like many places of its kind, the menu changes so the chowder may not be there when you go. I would say one of the strengths of this place is the variety of options provided. There are so many things to choose and it is so hard to pick!

Reviewed July 27, 2014

We have eaten in some of the great restaurants in the world. Gary Danko did a lovely job with the meal and service. We liked that you could pick 3, 4, or 5 items from sections of the menu or the prix fixe chef's menu. Every course was delicious but my favorite was the strawberry soufflé for dessert. Wines were lovely.