“Another home run!”

Restaurant Gary Danko
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Gary Danko is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 5,834 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Perhaps our favorite foodie place on West Coast. Great selection of small plates allowing for multiple courses. Fish and game are always first class. Service is spectacular. Desserts are so good. Beautiful presentations.

1  Thank Robert G
Write a ReviewReviews (2,310)

Reviewed March 8, 2014

I've had the good fortune to have been able to both work as a chef in my life and after that, travel around the world almost continuously for the past ten years, trying way more than my share of incredible restaurants along the way. Of all of these, Gary Danko's San Fran establishment was among the most memorable. It is, in my opinion, the standard by which anyone who appreciates fine dining describes as being the highest level. The service and atmosphere are second to none in the city, and I would give the cuisine nearly perfect scores for both creativity and flavors. Every dish was a stimulation of the senses and thoroughly enjoyable. We tried more than a dozen different plates and two or three would make my all-time best list. The rest were still top notch. I can't say enough good about this beautiful restaurant. If I tried any critique maybe it would be that it was a little loud and packed together when I got there, but it was just people enthusiastic about being there, for good reason! The hype around this joint is well, well deserved.

1  Thank wildlandphoto
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Not a fan. Sorry, there are just too many amazing restaurants in this city & I eat out way too much. So I admit, a place needs to wow me in all areas to get 5 stars. In general: slightly over-hyped, & wines VERY overpriced,but the service is OUTstanding,& the meal was..very good. But not extraordinary.Is it the best in the city? No. Like I said, too many top end restaurants here. But it's a very good meal. But spendy. I was a little irritated that the somm upsold me on a half bottle I offered without telling me the price difference (which was significant) - tacky. I was also annoyed that we were too full eat the cheese course on the tasting menu, so we skipped that course & pairing, and they didn't even offer to box it up so we could take it home. On top of that, we ordered coffee at the end, & you'd think because we skipped a wine, they comp that. Nope $5 more. Again, tacky.

Here's my advise: Bring your own bottle & pay the 35 dollar corkage. Skip the tasting menu & pairings, order the 3 or 4 course menu. They give you an appy AND small dessert plate on the house, so keep that in mind. Stick to the seafood, they do it well. Enjoy.

2  Thank Jennifer S
Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

The cuisine is gorgeous and imaginative, but what's even more outstanding is the service. The ratio of servers to diners is the highest anywhere, and you're made to feel like royalty.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

I started going to Gary Danko's over 10 years ago & I must say that every time I go with my husband I was never dissatisfied!!!! We both love their tasting menu with wine pairing because you get to pretty much eat samples of what's on the menu in very small & satisfying portions! They pretty much choose the right type of wine to go with a particular plate. If you cannot make reservations, I would highly recommend going there right when they open the door & just sit at the the bar; for they will serve you anything from the menu! I cannot wait to go back there again!