“Lovely ... special ... and really fun”

Restaurant Gary Danko
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Gary Danko is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 5,664 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Lovely ... special ... and really fun”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

great meal was had by all and the experience was fun from the moment we arrived .. 4 people, one a vegan.... each had great meal that was interesting and inventive

staff was great and we really enjoyed discussing the options for both food and drink with the well informed Staff

We all agreed that each course and plate was well balanced and interesting with bright clean flavors

1 Thank santafejmg

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Aguascalientes, Mexico
“Fine dining in SFO”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

It's very hard to get a reservation for this place, now I know why.
The place has few tables and top-class everything.
Best blinis I've tasted ever. The food is very creative with nostalgic flavors.
The thing that most impressed me was the cheese cart, absolutely delicious.
I wish I could come back soon.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Salvador S
New York, NY
“extended a loan from the bank courtesy of the GOLD Amex card”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

This is a FORMAL and yummy place and I was hoping my date would have presented me with that two carat diamond at dessert, but the meal paid for part of the down payment....The service was wonderful, PARKING ...FINDIN parking was maddening....I felt a little too dressed up for the obviously monied TECHIES!!! in the restaurant, they were in jeans and casuals....had I known...I guess I should have worn my skinny jeans and not that special dress for a special occasion...

Anyway....I really need to go on a diet for 2014 ...not just because the meal was incredible!

Hope you enjoy it.....Make sure to allocate time via UBER (mobile phone service for a limo) next time....trying to find PARKING really set a stressful mood...I guess I will need to see the menu again tomorrow to tell you a listing of each item that I would recommend for next time...!

La Habra, California
“Consistently excellent”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Do make reservations in advance....this restaurant is a must do...but other people know this and the restaurant is always busy.

Upon arrival, we were seated at our table next to a beautiful original oil painting. Service was immediate, attentive and non intrusive. I enjoyed talking with the staff ... They always provide excellent suggestions on their menu and wine list. Our party each ordered the 5 course meal. As always, we found no problem finding 5 interesting items from their wonderful menu. This was the first time at Gary Danko for one of my guests... he noted that dining here is a "gastronomic Disneyland". The sommelier recommended a couple of bottles of Aubert Chardonnay which complimented well with our dishes.

Next we tried a variety of desserts which the sommelier paired with after dinner sweet white wines. Again... Such fun!

Upon completion of our experience... the staff had a cab waiting for us.

Perfection!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Brad L
Orange, California
“Not as I expected”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We heard so much about Gary Danko, but it was a little disapointment when we dined there last night. We luckily got in at 5:30 in a very nicely decorated restaurant by calling the day before. I got the 5 course meal and my husband, 4 course. I chose quail salad, roast Maine lobster, lemon pepper duck breast, and veal. My husband got Dungeness crab salad, seared scallops, duck breast and venison. We shared the pineapple crepe for dessert, which was delicious. The seared scallop dish was amazing, and Dungeness crab was excellent as well. However, the rest of the meal was underwhelmed for the reputation we hear about Gary Danko. Presentation is typical for a French restaurant, not a "wow" like Keiko. I would rate Gary Danko 26 and Keiko 29 for food.